Broccoli Farming Information Guide:
We are discussing today Broccoli Farming Techniques, Planting of Broccoli. Broccoli Plant Care and Harvesting procedure.
Introduction to Broccoli vegetable:
Broccoli is a cool-season crop that, like spinach, can be grown in the spring or fall. In fact, you may be able to get a continual harvest throughout both seasons if you time planting correctly. A member of the cabbage family, Broccoli is a great choice for a home garden. Freshly cut broccoli heads are rich in vitamins and minerals. They’re delicious raw in salads or lightly steamed and they freeze well. In India, Broccoli is a boom for the rural economy.
Agro-Climate and Suitable Soil Type for Broccoli Plantation
Broccoli is a cool-weather crop that does poorly in a sultry climate. It grows best when exposed to an average daily temperature between 18°C and 23°C. Broccoli prefers full sun, but partial shade can prevent plants from bolting (going to seed) in areas with warm spells. Provide rich, well-drained soil, with plenty of compost.
Planting and Spacing of Broccoli:
The following steps will ensure the best plantation in Broccoli Farming.
- Broccoli can germinate in soil with temperatures as low as 5ºC.
- Broccoli requires full sun and moist, fertile soil that’s slightly acidic. Work in 2 to 4 inches of rich compost or a thin layer of manure before planting.
- Transplant the seedlings at 4 – 5 true leaves stage about 25 to 30 days after seeding. Space them 40 – 45 cm apart in the double rows of 60 – 70 cm apart on each high bed of 90 – 100 cm wide.
- The seedling must be sufficiently watered several hours before transplanting to make it easier to remove the plant from the seedling bed. Thus, the roots of seedling may hold as much soil as possible, so as to prevent wilting during transplanting.
Irrigation must apply immediately after the transplanting.
- For spring plantings, seed or set transplants 2 to 3 weeks before the last spring frost date. If you transplant, assume 10 fewer days for growth or the “days to maturity” on the seed packet.
- For fall plantings, seed 85 to 100 days before your average first fall frost. If you live in a warm climate, fall planting is best, as broccoli thrives in cool weather. Plant seeds in mid-to late-summer in most places.
- Plant seeds 1/2 inch deep, or set transplants slightly deeper than they were grown originally.
- If you overseed, you will need to thin seedlings to 12 inches apart to give room for the broccoli to grow.
Read this: How To Gow Profitable Cactus.
A seed rate of Broccoli:
The usual planting rate is 300 grams of seed per hectare. Sow the seed in the nursery or on the seedling bed. Thin the seedlings to 3 cm apart 2 – 3 days after germination.
Manures and Fertilizer for Broccoli Plants:
Broccoli thrives best on the soil of good fertility. Therefore Manure and Chemical Fertilizers. Following are the applications in Broccoli Farming.
- 1st application: Should be applied in a circle around the plant after it recovered from transplanting.
- 2nd application: Should be applied in bands on shoulders of the bed 2 weeks after 1st side dressing.
- 3rd application: Should be applied on both sides of the furrows when the flower buds start to form.
Irrigation requirement of Broccoli Plants:
Broccoli is a shallow-rooted crop. Therefore, irrigation should be applied frequently to prevent the plant from injuries in dry soil. Drainage must be carried out in the rainy season. It is necessary to remove side shoots as soon as possible to improve the yield and quality of the main head.
Harvesting Procedure of Broccoli Crop:
The quality of broccoli heads are usually harvested when they reach full size and firm; never wait until the clustered buds begin to open. When cutting, including 25 cm of the edible portion of the stem. It is best to harvest the heads in the early morning. Packing should be started as soon as possible after cutting.
The yield of Broccoli:
You can expect around 3.5 quintals per acre.
The initial investment in a broccoli production operation is relatively low, so high profits can be achievable.
In case if you are interested in this: Hydroponic Nutrient Chart.
- Moringa as Feed for Livestock: Moringa Fodder Crop Yield Per Acre
- National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM): Features, Schemes, and Benefits
- Management of Cutworms in Chilli: Prevention and Control With Organic, Chemical, Cultural Practices
- Best Fertilizer for Tinda: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Whitefly Management in Cotton Crop: Symptoms, Control, and Best Insecticides for Cotton
- Best Fertilizer for Terrace Plants: Covering Vegetables, Fruits, Flowers, and Herbs
- 12 Best Compost Bins for Home in India with Price: Cheap for Indoors, Outdoors, and Kitchens
- Grapes Training Systems and Methods: A Comparative Analysis
- Best Fertilizer Jamun Tree: Organic, Natural, Homemade, Npk Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Polyhalite Fertilizers and their Role in Organic Farming
- How to Identify Fake Seeds: Key Differences Between Real and Counterfeit Seeds
- Best Fertilizer for Indian Gooseberry/Amla: Organic, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Best Fertilizer for Bitter Gourd: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Bangalore Method of Composting: Preparation Method, Benefits, and Disadvantages
- How to Check PM Kisan Status: Beneficiary Verification With Aadhaar Number and Mobile
- 15 Best Chaff Cutter Machines in India: For Dry, Green Fodder Cutting, and Price List Included
- Bermuda Grass Fertilizer Schedule: When and How to Apply in Winter, Summer, and Spring
- 20 Best Plants to Grow Under Oak Trees: Compatible Plants Under and Around Oaks
- Benefits of DAP Fertilizer: Price, Composition, How and When to Apply
- Profitable Thai Guava Farming in India: Yield, Profit Per Acre, Plant Price, 1 Acre Cost of Cultivation
- Top 19 Water Harvesting Techniques: What is Water Harvesting and Benefits of It
- Best 20 Lemon Varieties: Sweet, Large, and Rare High Yield Cultivars
- Top 15 Agro Based Industries in India: Best List for Agri Entrepreneurs
- Career Opportunities in Agribusiness Management: Top 10 Jobs After Agribusiness Management
- Top 20 Pumpkin Varieties to Grow in Your Garden: Best List of Pumpkin Varieties for High Profits
- How to Grow Cordyceps Mushrooms: Profitable Cultivation Practices and Cordyceps Mushroom Price
- Top 20 Lettuce Varieties to Grow in Your Garden: Best List for Backyard for Fall and Winter
- Top 20 Grape Varieties to Grow in India: List of Grape Varieties to Grow for High Profits
- Best Fruit Nurseries in Tamil Nadu: Top List of Saplings Supplier for High Yield and Profits
- Top 20 Apple Varieties in India: List of Apple Varieties to Grow for High Profits