A step by step guide for cucumber farming techniques, cultivation
Today, we are into Cucumber farming and cultivation practices. This also gives complete details of the cucumber plant care along with planting procedure and harvesting process.
Introduction of Cucumber:
Cucumber belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family and is an important summer vegetable crop cultivated throughout India. Cucumber plant has a climbing or trailing habit. The tender cucumber can be eaten raw or with salt in a salad. Cucumber is also used in daily cooking. Cucumber seeds can be used in oil extraction.
Indian local names for Cucumber:
Kamal Kakdi (Hindi),
Commercial Verities of Cucumber cultivated in India:
The following are major varieties of Cucumber commercial crops.
- Japanese Long Green.
- Straight Eight.
The climatic condition required for Cucumber plantation:
The cucumber crop requires a moderately warm temperature and grows best at a temperature between 20°C and 24°C. It’s not suitable for frost conditions.
Suitable Soil for Growing Cucumber:
Cucumber can be grown in wide varieties of soils from sandy loam soils to clay soils with good drainage. Make sure the soil contains organic matter by adding organic compost or any Farm Yard Manure (FMY) for higher yield. Soil pH should be between 5.5 and 6.7 is favorable for optimum growth.
Soil Preparation for Cucumber:
The main field should be prepared thoroughly sowing of seeds. Plough the land around four times and form long channels at 1.5 meters apart.
The best season, Seed rate and Seed Treatment of Cucumber:
Sow the cucumber seeds during June or January to April. About 3 kg of cucumber seeds is required for a hectare. Treat the cucumber seeds with Pseudomonas fluorescens 10 grams/kg or Trichoderma viride 4 grams/kg or Carbendazim 2 grams/kg of seeds before sowing.
Sowing method of Cucumber:
The cucumber seed is sown by the method of dibbling at a distance of 1.5 m to 2.5 m (row to row) x 60 cm to 90 cm. (Plant spacing). Two to three cucumber seeds are sown in each pit. Layout in Ring & basing method is preferred.
Manure and Fertilizers of Cucumber:
40 to 50 cartload well decomposed Farmyard Manure (FYM) should be added at the time of soil preparation. , 25 kg P/ha 50 kg N, Should be given ½ N and full phosphorus should be given at the time of sowing cucumber seeds and remaining half N should be given 30 days after sowing of seeds.
Irrigation requirement for Cucumber crop:
Drip Irrigation is the most effective method for cucumber farming. Install a drip irrigation system with main and sub-main pipes and place the inline lateral tubes at an interval of 1.5meter. Place the drippers in lateral tubes at an interval of 60 cm and 50 cm spacing with 4 LPH and 3.5 LPH capacities respectively. For summer crop irrigation should be given to maintaining moisture and for rainy season crop irrigation is needed.
Read here for drip irrigation advantages.
Weed control operations of Cucumber
Shallow cultivation can be given during the early stages of cucumber plant growth to control the weeds. Herbicides may be used for controlling the weeds.
Pests and Diseases of Cucumber:
The main disease in cucumber farming is Downy mildew and it can be controlled by applying Mancozeb or Chlorothalonil 2 g/lit twice at 12 days interval. The main pest is Fruit fly and it can be controlled by 1) Picking the affected cucumbers and destroy them.2) Neem oil @ 3.0 % as a foliar application as need-based.
Harvesting and Yield of Cucumbers:
Harvesting can be done @ 40 to 45 days after sowing. On an average of 8 to 10 harvests can be done. Timely picking of cucumber is more important for better quality for fruit. Yield: 8 to 10 t/ha in 80 to 90 days for salad purpose.
Marketing of Cucumbers:
As it has good demand in local markets, can be transported via trucks.
You may also be interested in Growing Garlic, Planting, Care, Harvesting.
Healthy vegetable makes you wealthy with good yield.
In case if you are interested in this: How To Grow Strawberries in Greenhouse.
- Bahar Treatment in Pomegranate for High Quality and Yields: A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementation
- Mobile Veterinary Units in India: Implementation in States
- Moringa as Feed for Livestock: Moringa Fodder Crop Yield Per Acre
- National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM): Features, Schemes, and Benefits
- Management of Cutworms in Chilli: Prevention and Control With Organic, Chemical, Cultural Practices
- Best Fertilizer for Tinda: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Whitefly Management in Cotton Crop: Symptoms, Control, and Best Insecticides for Cotton
- Best Fertilizer for Terrace Plants: Covering Vegetables, Fruits, Flowers, and Herbs
- 12 Best Compost Bins for Home in India with Price: Cheap for Indoors, Outdoors, and Kitchens
- Grapes Training Systems and Methods: A Comparative Analysis
- Best Fertilizer Jamun Tree: Organic, Natural, Homemade, Npk Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Polyhalite Fertilizers and their Role in Organic Farming
- How to Identify Fake Seeds: Key Differences Between Real and Counterfeit Seeds
- Best Fertilizer for Indian Gooseberry/Amla: Organic, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Best Fertilizer for Bitter Gourd: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Bangalore Method of Composting: Preparation Method, Benefits, and Disadvantages
- How to Check PM Kisan Status: Beneficiary Verification With Aadhaar Number and Mobile
- 15 Best Chaff Cutter Machines in India: For Dry, Green Fodder Cutting, and Price List Included
- Bermuda Grass Fertilizer Schedule: When and How to Apply in Winter, Summer, and Spring
- 20 Best Plants to Grow Under Oak Trees: Compatible Plants Under and Around Oaks
- Benefits of DAP Fertilizer: Price, Composition, How and When to Apply
- Profitable Thai Guava Farming in India: Yield, Profit Per Acre, Plant Price, 1 Acre Cost of Cultivation
- Top 19 Water Harvesting Techniques: What is Water Harvesting and Benefits of It
- Best 20 Lemon Varieties: Sweet, Large, and Rare High Yield Cultivars
- Top 15 Agro Based Industries in India: Best List for Agri Entrepreneurs
- Career Opportunities in Agribusiness Management: Top 10 Jobs After Agribusiness Management
- Top 20 Pumpkin Varieties to Grow in Your Garden: Best List of Pumpkin Varieties for High Profits
- How to Grow Cordyceps Mushrooms: Profitable Cultivation Practices and Cordyceps Mushroom Price
- Top 20 Lettuce Varieties to Grow in Your Garden: Best List for Backyard for Fall and Winter
- Top 20 Grape Varieties to Grow in India: List of Grape Varieties to Grow for High Profits
- Best Fruit Nurseries in Tamil Nadu: Top List of Saplings Supplier for High Yield and Profits
- Top 20 Apple Varieties in India: List of Apple Varieties to Grow for High Profits
- Advantages of Vegetative Propagation and Disadvantages of Vegetative Propagation: Examples