A step by step guide for cucumber farming techniques, cultivation
Today, we are into Cucumber farming and cultivation practices. This also gives complete details of the cucumber plant care along with planting procedure and harvesting process.
Introduction of Cucumber:
Cucumber belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family and is an important summer vegetable crop cultivated throughout India. Cucumber plant has a climbing or trailing habit. The tender cucumber can be eaten raw or with salt in a salad. Cucumber is also used in daily cooking. Cucumber seeds can be used in oil extraction.
Indian local names for Cucumber:
Kamal Kakdi (Hindi),
Commercial Verities of Cucumber cultivated in India:
The following are major varieties of Cucumber commercial crops.
- Japanese Long Green.
- Straight Eight.
The climatic condition required for Cucumber plantation:
The cucumber crop requires a moderately warm temperature and grows best at a temperature between 20°C and 24°C. It’s not suitable for frost conditions.
Suitable Soil for Growing Cucumber:
Cucumber can be grown in wide varieties of soils from sandy loam soils to clay soils with good drainage. Make sure the soil contains organic matter by adding organic compost or any Farm Yard Manure (FMY) for higher yield. Soil pH should be between 5.5 and 6.7 is favorable for optimum growth.
Soil Preparation for Cucumber:
The main field should be prepared thoroughly sowing of seeds. Plough the land around four times and form long channels at 1.5 meters apart.
The best season, Seed rate and Seed Treatment of Cucumber:
Sow the cucumber seeds during June or January to April. About 3 kg of cucumber seeds is required for a hectare. Treat the cucumber seeds with Pseudomonas fluorescens 10 grams/kg or Trichoderma viride 4 grams/kg or Carbendazim 2 grams/kg of seeds before sowing.
Sowing method of Cucumber:
The cucumber seed is sown by the method of dibbling at a distance of 1.5 m to 2.5 m (row to row) x 60 cm to 90 cm. (Plant spacing). Two to three cucumber seeds are sown in each pit. Layout in Ring & basing method is preferred.
Manure and Fertilizers of Cucumber:
40 to 50 cartload well decomposed Farmyard Manure (FYM) should be added at the time of soil preparation. , 25 kg P/ha 50 kg N, Should be given ½ N and full phosphorus should be given at the time of sowing cucumber seeds and remaining half N should be given 30 days after sowing of seeds.
Irrigation requirement for Cucumber crop:
Drip Irrigation is the most effective method for cucumber farming. Install a drip irrigation system with main and sub-main pipes and place the inline lateral tubes at an interval of 1.5meter. Place the drippers in lateral tubes at an interval of 60 cm and 50 cm spacing with 4 LPH and 3.5 LPH capacities respectively. For summer crop irrigation should be given to maintaining moisture and for rainy season crop irrigation is needed.
Read here for drip irrigation advantages.
Weed control operations of Cucumber
Shallow cultivation can be given during the early stages of cucumber plant growth to control the weeds. Herbicides may be used for controlling the weeds.
Pests and Diseases of Cucumber:
The main disease in cucumber farming is Downy mildew and it can be controlled by applying Mancozeb or Chlorothalonil 2 g/lit twice at 12 days interval. The main pest is Fruit fly and it can be controlled by 1) Picking the affected cucumbers and destroy them.2) Neem oil @ 3.0 % as a foliar application as need-based.
Harvesting and Yield of Cucumbers:
Harvesting can be done @ 40 to 45 days after sowing. On an average of 8 to 10 harvests can be done. Timely picking of cucumber is more important for better quality for fruit. Yield: 8 to 10 t/ha in 80 to 90 days for salad purpose.
Marketing of Cucumbers:
As it has good demand in local markets, can be transported via trucks.
You may also be interested in Growing Garlic, Planting, Care, Harvesting.
Healthy vegetable makes you wealthy with good yield.
In case if you are interested in this: How To Grow Strawberries in Greenhouse.
- Guide to Lotus Cultivation: How to Propagate, Plant, Grow, Care, Cost, and Profit
- Agriculture Drone Subsidy Scheme: Government Kisan Subsidy, License, and How to Apply Online
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Araucana Chickens: Breed Profile, Farming Economics, Diet, and Care
- Bringing Hydroponics to Classroom: Importance, Benefits of Learning for School Students
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Polish Chickens: Breed Profile, Farming Economics, Diet, and Care
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Australorp Chickens: Profile, Farming Economics, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Silkie Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Sussex Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet and Care
- Homemade Feed Formulations for Livestock: Discover Cost-effective Starter to Finisher Feed Recipes
- 20 Best Pig Weight Gain Supplements: Top Swine Weight Gain Formulas
- Ultimate Guide to Elderberry Farming: Propagation, Planting, Yield, Cost, and Profit
- 100% Effective Strategies for Combating Pests and Diseases in Hibiscus: Prevent and Treat Successfully
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Mums: Ultimate Guide to Protecting Mums
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Home Garden: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Essential Guide to Disease Management for Backyard Poultry Owners
- How to Raise Wyandotte Chickens: A Profitable Wyandotte Farming for Beginners
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Brahma Chickens: Care, Feeding, Egg Production, and Breeding
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Leghorn Chickens: Feeding, Breeding, Egg Production, and Care
- Rabbit Disease Management: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Bolting Management in Plants: Prevention for Premature Flowers and Seeding in Crops and Vegetables
- How to Manage Pests and Diseases in Berry Orchards: A Comprehensive Guide
- Top 20 Goat and Sheep Weight Gain Supplements: Best Sheep and Goat Weight Gain Formulas
- Apple Scab Management: Disease Cycle, Spray Schedule, Fungicides, Control and Prevention Strategies
- Beetle Management in Plants: Control and Prevention Strategies
- Mini Highland Cattle Farming: Exploring Raising Miniature Cattles with Cost and Profit
- Problems of Indian Agriculture: Problems Faced by Indian Farmers
- How to Raise Buff Orpington Chickens: Guide for Egg Laying, Breeding, and Care
- How to Raise Dexter Cattle: Breeding for Beef and Milk, Pros and Cons, Weight Chart, and Cost
- Tomato Hornworm Management: Overview, Control, Prevent Five-spotted Hawk Moth
- Citrus Fertilizer Management: Nutrient Requirements and Application Schedule
- Kaffir lime Farming: Varieties, Planting, Growing, Cost and Profit
- Pest Control Cost Per Acre in India: Organic vs Chemical Cost Comparison
- How to Grow Pittosporum in Home Gardens: Guide to Planting to Care for Beginners