A step by step guide to Dragon Fruit Farming Profit
Dragon fruit demand in India is very high and many people are showing interest in dragon fruit cultivation in Karnataka, dragon fruit farming in Gujarat, Assam, Haryana, Punjab, and Maharashtra. you can observe the dragon fruit farming In some places of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh as well. The dragon fruit farming profit depends on many factors, however, let us see the approximate cost and income from dragon fruit cultivation in India.
In the recent past, many people are looking towards exotic fruits while having their fruit meals. Among the famous exotic fruits like pear, peach, kiwi, green apple and others which are commonly preferred by most of the people. But nowadays, the Dragon fruit has been imported in India and commercially grown in India as the Indian climatic conditions are highly favorable for their cultivation. It has been introduced into India from Vietnam. However, many farmers and entrepreneurs are looking towards Dragon fruit farming as it is giving a lot of income returns to the growers. We have given all the information about Dragon fruit cultivation and management in the previous post. In this post, we have come up with the Costs, Profits and Income returns in Dragon fruit farming in 1 acre.
About Dragon fruit:
You may also check Taiwan Guava Farming Profit, Cost.
The demand for dragon fruits is increasing rapidly nowadays. There are lots of health benefits of eating dragon fruits. Almost every age personality can consume dragon fruit from child to senior citizens. In addition, dragon fruits taste very sweet as compared to other exotic fruits. Noticing these unique characters, many entrepreneurs are looking toward Dragon fruit farming.
Dragon fruit varieties in India:
There are about three dragon fruit varieties that exist in India.
- Pink dragon fruit variety: Epicarp, as well as the edible endocarp, is pink in color with black seeds.
- Red white variety: Upper epicarp is pink and the edible portion is the white color with black seeds.
- Yellow Dragon fruit variety: Upper part to see is yellow and the dibble portion is the white color which black seeds.
Cost of Dragon fruit farming:
You may also read the Tomato Farming Profit Per Acre.
Cost of Dragon fruit transplants or seedlings: In order to cultivate dragon fruits, it is better to go for cutting and transplanting rather than seed production and sowing as seed production and sowing is a time consuming and laborious process. In an area of 1 acre dragon fruit farm, it can accommodate around 2000 plants of which every 4 plants or transplanted cutting for every T structure. The cost of one dragon fruit seedling or cutting is around Rs. 30 per plant. Therefore, for 2000 plants, it costs around Rs. 60,000. It may also vary from region to region. The given figure is an approximate average figure.
Cost of land/Rental value of farm: Dragon fruit can be cultivated in 1 acre area. Moreover, the duration of highly productive dragon fruits is about 5 to 7 years. Therefore, we have to calculate the rental value of 1 acre land for 5 years. It is about Rs. 1.5 lakhas dragon fruit cultivation is done in barren lands or where there is less availability of water. However, it may vary from region to region.
Cost of T support systems: As dragon fruit plants belong to the cactus family, they need support for growth and development. Therefore, we need to establish T support system or ladder support system. However, the T support system is mostly followed and preferred in India. For 1 acre dragon fruit farm, we must establish 500 T support systems. In order to construct the T support, we have to dig a pit up to a depth of 2 ft X 2 ft and place a 3 .5 mt pole with upper round type or cement structures. In order to construct those T supports in 1 acre Dragon fruit farm, it incurs around Rs. 2 lakhs which are durable up to a period of 5 to 7 years.
Labor cost in Dragon fruit farm: As Dragon fruit farming is a commercial crop farming system, we must employ at least 1 labor or skilled worker to manage 1 acre dragon fruit farm. On average, we may pay Rs. 5,000 per month. For one year, the labor cost is Rs. 60,000 for one skilled labor or worker.
Cost of fertilizers and nutrients: On average it costs Rs. 5,000 for the fertilizer and nutrient management in 1 acre dragon fruit farm. We have to supply both micronutrients as well as macronutrients.
Cost of pesticides for 1 acre Dragon fruit farm: Pesticides like fungicides to control various dragon fruit diseases and insecticides to control insect pests and insect virus vectors, they may cost up to Rs. 10,000 for a year for acre area.
Intercultural operations cost: Intercultural operations include weeding in between the plants for every 15 to a 20-day interval in order to maintain proper health of the dragon fruit plants. Intercultural operations cost about Rs. 15,000 for the machinery rent and the electricity bill for 1 year.
Miscellaneous costs in 1 acre Dragon fruit farm: These include the cost of irrigation equipment, irrigation facilities, and other supplies. It may be about Rs. 15,000 for a year.
The total cost of Dragon fruit farm in 1 acre for 1 year: ‘C’ in Indian Rupees.
Seedling cost: 60,000
Land lease value: 1,50,000
Labor costs : 60,000
T support system cost: 2,00,000
Cost of pesticides: 10,000
Cost of fertilizers: 5,000
Intercultural operation: 10,000
Miscellaneous costs: 15,000
Total cost of 1 acre dragon fruit farm: Rs. 5,10,000.
You may also check Goat Farming in India.
Therefore, the total cost of 1 acre dragon fruit farming for the 1st year is around Rs. 5.1 lakhs.
But we have to make the difference of the establishment cost like T supports cost, land lease value and labor cost of Rs. 410000 together as it is a commercial agri farming business.
Therefore, the cost incurred is Rs. 5,10,000 – RS. 4,10,000 = Rs. 1,00,000 for the first year only
‘C’ = Rs. 1,00,000
Benefits in 1 acre dragon fruit farm, let it be ‘B’
Profits in dragon fruit farm various but it is constant at most of the plants in the country. For the first year, the dragon fruit farmer can get about 7 to 8 quintals or 700 to 800 kg of dragon fruits per acre area. 1 kg Dragon fruits are sold at Rs. 150 per kg (Wholesale price at the farm gate, this may change from time to time and region to region). For 1000 kg, it is Rs. 1,50,000 or Rs. 1.5 lakh. Hence, 1 acre dragon fruit farm can give an income of Rs. 1.5 lakhs for the first year.
‘B’ = Rs. 1,20,000
Profits in 1 acre dragon fruit farm: Income returns or profits is the difference between cost and benefits (C – B) in 1 acre dragon fruit far.
Hence, it is Rs. 1,00,000 – Rs. 1,20,000 = Rs. 1,00,000
Even though, the profits are confined to the first year are very less. From the preceding year, the dragon fruit farmer can earn up to Rs. 4 lakh per annum as the yield increases about 70% for every year. In addition, if the farmer goes for cultivation more than one acre, he may earn huge profits than any other commercial crop farming.
- Beans Farming, Planting, Care, Yield, Harvesting
- Bitter Gourd Farming; Karela Cultivation – A Full Guide
- Lemon Tree Pruning Methods; Training Methods
- Tractor Subsidy In Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Loan Schemes
- Green Manuring and Cultivation Practices
- Dairy Farming In Karnataka, Loans, Subsidies, Schemes
- Safflower Cultivation Information Guide
- Betel Leaf Cultivation Income (Paan), Cost, Project Report
- Kadaknath Egg Production, Egg Price, Health Benefits
- Dairy Cow Farming Project Report For 10 Animals
- Prawn Hatchery Business Plan, Management
- Indian Bean Cultivation (LabLab Bean) Guide
- Marans Chicken Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Red Sandalwood Plantation; Profit; Yield – A Full Guide
- Palmarosa Oil Extraction Methods, Process, Steps
Conclusion: This is all about dragon fruit farming in 1 acre and its profits from 1 acre up to 5 years.
Some facts about growing Dragon Fruits:
- You can grow dragon fruit plants from both cuttings and seeds. However, growing dragon fruit from the seed is not recommended as it takes a long time (up to 5 years).
- When you grow dragon fruits from cuttings, 1-year-old cuttings of 1-foot length works great for planting.
- Dragon fruit can tolerate some shade and prefers warm climatic conditions. It does not like overwatering. The dragon fruit plant requires moderately moist soil. You can increase the amount of water during flowering and fruit-bearing stages. Drip irrigation is recommended in the dragon fruit farming.
- Dragon fruits are easily grown in pots, containers, on the terrace, and backyard of the home garden.
- Dragon fruits can be grown indoors if you keep the container near the window for sunlight.
- Dragon fruit plants can be grown in tropical or subtropical locations of the world.
- Just like any other fruit plants, the dragon fruit plants require nutrients of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
- Dragon fruit plants can be grown best up to the temperatures of 40°C.
Conclusion of Dragon fruit farming profit, cost, and yield in India:
This is all about dragon fruit farming profit in 1 acre for 5 years period.
You may be interested in How to Grow Hydroponic Chillies.