Exotic Sheep Breeds:
Exotic Sheep Breeds: In this article, let us discuss about exotic sheep breeds with their features and performance in India.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Merino Sheep Breed:
- This sheep is most popular fine wool breed of sheep in the world which is originated from Spain.
- Kashmir Merino is a white faced sheep with white feet.
- Males (Ram) have horns whereas the ewes (Female) are hornless.
- Most of the head and legs of the sheep are covered by wool.
- The merino sheep is extremely hardy being able to survive in any regions with different climatic conditions.
- The merino ewes live and yield longer than any other sheep breed.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Rambouillet Sheep Breed:
- This sheep also known as Rambouillet Merino or French Merino.
- Basically this sheep breed was developed in France.
- This sheep breed has a large head with white hair around the nose and ears.
- Male sheep (Rams) have horns and female sheep (ewes) will not have any horns.
- Males weigh about 120 kg and ewes up to a maximum of 80 kg.
- This breed produces an excellent fine-wool fleece.
- The fleece is heavy, close, compact, covering most of the body including face and legs.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Cheviot Sheep Breed:
- This sheep is a medium wool breed and developed in Scotland.
- The breed is small with erect ears, a clean white face and white legs, covered with short white hair.
- In most cases, the nose, lips and feet of the sheep are black.
- Rams (Males) weigh on an average up to 75 kg and ewes (Females) up to 50 kg.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Suffolk Sheep Bread:
- This sheep breed native of U.K. and is large a animal with black face, ears and legs.
- This sheep head and ears are entirely free from wool.
- Both rams (males) and ewes (females) are polled though rams sometimes have scours.
- This sheep breed yields average wool of 2 to 3 kg.
- Generally, mature male sheep weighs 100 to 125 kg and ewes from 70 to 90 kg.
- These sheep breeds are very prolific and excellent milk producers.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Dorset Sheep Breed:
- This sheep breed is polled, horned and native to U.K.
- This sheep breed face, ears and legs white in colour and free from wool.
- This breed yields 2.75 to 3.50 kg of wool and produce mutton of good quality.
- Male sheep (Rams) weighs about 80 to 110 kg and female sheep (ewes) weighs about 50 to 80 kg.
- This breed is suitable for any kind of environment.
Exotic Sheep Breeds – Southdown Sheep Breed:
- This sheep breed is one of the oldest English breeds and has greatly contributed to the development of many other breeds of sheep.
- This sheep is a small in size and excellent for mutton production.
- This sheep body is a low-set, compact, wide and deep with legs wide apart. This sheep head is broad and face is light brown coloured.
- Male Southdown sheep weighs about 75 kg and females weighs about 50 kg at maturity.
For complete sheep or goat farming information : Read here.