Fish Farming Guide for Beginners:
The following article talks about how to start a fish farming business in India. or a fish farming business plan
Importance of Fish:
Fish is one of the favorite items in the food menu of almost 60% of Indians. So market demand is always high for fish items. If we consider the global demand also, the total requirement becomes very high. The main source of fish is from the sea. but the global fish harvest from the sea is decreasing rapidly.
The only way we can ensure the availability of fish to meet increasing demand is through fish farms. Inland freshwater fish plays a major role here. We have a large number of natural ponds here. With a good business plan and decision, we can convert this opportunity to a successful small scale farm.
Advantages of Fish Farm Business:
Setting up commercial fish raising business has many advantages. The main advantages of setting up commercial fish growing business in India are listed below.
- Fish and fish products have a huge demand in India. Fish is one of the most common and favorite items in the food menu of more than 60 percent of Indian people.
- Market demand and price is always high for fish and fish related products in India.
- Indian climate is very suitable for fish production and fish growing business.
- Various types of easily found water sources are available. You can fill your pond with water from your nearest river, lake or any other water sources.
- Various types of fast-growing fish species are available. Farming those fast-growing fish species ensure rapid returns of your investment.
- Easily available and low-cost labor. You can also start an integrated fish growing business with various types of animals, birds, crops, and vegetables. Integrated fish farming reduces feeding costs and ensures maximum production.
- Fish business in India is really very profitable and riskless business. Commercial fish growing can create new income and employment opportunities. Unemployed educated young people can start raising fishes. This will provide them both financial freedom and permanent income opportunities.
- People with other occupation or job can also start a fish business without impacting their regular work. If you have suitable land and facilities for fish growing then you can easily start doing this business.
- If you want, you can also apply for the bank loan. And there are more benefits of starting fish farming in India. If you have suitable land and proper facilities don’t misuse the possibilities. Start raising some fish. If you are new then start small scale fish farm business and gather experience. You can also visit some fish farms practically to have some knowledge.
You may also check How to Make Fish Meal Organic Fertilizers.
Starting a Fish Farm:
Starting a fish farm in India is not so easy. For setting up a profitable fish farming business, you have to go through some procedures. I have shortly described various steps of fish rasing in India.
How to Prepare Fish Pond:
The most important infrastructure of the fish business is a pond. We can’t do a commercial fish raising business without a pond. You can use your existing pond or construct a new one for a fish business in India. We can raise fish in both seasonal and permanent pond. In the case of growing fishes in the seasonal pond where water will not exist for the whole year, we have to raise some fast-growing and quick maturing fish breeds. Before stocking minnow in the pond prepare it properly. Clean the bottom of the pond perfectly and then fertilize it. Optimize the PH value of pond water and soil. High-quality pond environment ensures high production and profit. See the full pond management system.
You may also like Tilapia Fish Farming Techniques.
Selection of Fish Breeds:
Selection of Fish breeds plays a major role in the sustainability of our business. The decision should be based on market demand, maintenance point of view, availability of the resource, effective utilization of resources, etc. Carp items such as Catla, Rohu, Grass carp, Common carp, etc are suitable for Indian ponds. Other breeds such as Tilapia, Catfish, etc also cultivated in Indian Ponds. Polyculture (growing two or more fish breeds in the same pond) is the suitable strategy for optimum utilization of resources. You can get quality fish seeds(baby fishes) from the nearest fish farmer or from the fisheries department.