Growing Ornamental Plants:
The following information is about Growing Ornamental Plants.
What are Ornamental Plants?
The plants those are grown for decorative purpose are called ornamental plants. Ornamental plants beautify the area around your home, offices, etc. These are the best the best decorative materials used while building a lawn or any kinds of gardens and landscape design projects. The cultivation of these ornamental plants is called floriculture which is a part of horticulture. Ornamental plants are grown for display purposed rather than functional ones. Some types of ornamental plants are both ornamental and functional. In ornamental gardening, ornamental plants play the key role, these plants come in many shapes, sizes and colors that are selected depending their climatic, landscape and gardening requirements.
Ornamental Plants are generally classified into 2 types, flowering plants and non-flowering plants. Flowering ornamental are a key feature of many gardens. Many flower gardeners prefer to grow a variety of ornamental flowering plants for their beautiful flowers. The gardeners select the variety of flowering plants, so that garden is filled with flower throughout spring and summer. There are many varieties of ornamental flowering plants produce flower may be subtle and delicate, or large and some produce a variety of showy flowers, and some plants produce blooms with distinctive aromas along with amazing colors.
Ornamental plants are also categorized based on the life span, Annual Ornamentals: these plants grow and die in one year. These plants complete its life cycle in one year. Biennial ornamentals, these plants live more than a year. Biennial plants grown in first year and blooms in the second year. Perennial ornamental plants have life cycle more than two years, these plants bloom every year.
Benefits of Ornamental Plants:
These plants are– ornamental and functional – these plants help sustain the life of the world. Ornamental plants are both Indoor and outdoor plants, these plants improve the aesthetics of our homes and offices and are best option to make our planet greener. Some varieties of the ornamental plants are functional plant’s and they are rich source nutrients (sense of taste), ornamental plant’s benefits us in numerous ways.
Below are the main benefits of Ornamental Plants:
- Amazing Beauty: Ornamental plants, both flowering plants and non-flowering plants, climbers, creepers, hedge plants, or garden plants – gives a visual treat to the eyes. Even the ornamental trees provide shade and some act as green walls. Few plants spell out a sweet aroma sense and plants will create an attractive landscape. Some plants that spell aroma are Jasmine, Lavender, and other aromatic, ornamental flowers will both aroma and attractive look.
- Garden with ornamental conifers, pines, or palms will give you a pleasing and calming atmosphere around you.
- Ornamental plants are best and natural air purifiers. These plants purify the air during the photosynthesis. Creating a small garden with indoor or outdoor or even hanging pots, baskets, or containers around the living area with ornamental plants will increase the oxygen levels in the air. High levels of oxygen in air will reduce the body stress and breathing problems and gives you better health.
- Create own ecosystem: Growing ornamental plants will help you to create an amazing ecosystem. Pollinating agents like insects, birds, bats, etc. will be constant visitors to the gardens that adds a natural charm to your garden.
- Ornamental plants prevent soil erosion. The ornamental grasses that come in many textures used for landscaping will help to prevent soil erosion. Ornamental Trees like pines, firs, willows, etc. are good for hillside gardens.
- Ornamental Plants for concentration: Nature ornamental plants bounded with aroma and beauty which believed that it will improve concentration. Many studies have proved that Studies having some plants in and around homes, offices, and schools will improve memory and concentration levels.
- Ornamental Plants to Reduce stress: Many people believe that growing indoor plants in offices or homes will reduce the stress levels and refresh them will their attractive appeal and smell.
- Ornamental for our mood: A glance at a blooming flower or a swaying palm tree will increase the happiness quotient. Many Studies suggest that fitness exercises and recreational activities should be performed on the lap of nature – among plants and flowers – It is playing great impact on mood swings.
- Ornamental Plants Cleans Air: Plants are the best machines that clean our breathing air. Plants intakes carbon dioxide as food and release clean oxygen, plants are the best air filters. Mainly for indoor environments, where air circulation is more compact than outdoors. Growing ornamental plants will improve the oxygen levels in the air and cleans the air from tobacco smoke and explosive organic compounds like formaldehyde, trichloroethylene and benzene. Some examples of ornamental plants that effectively cleans the air are Spider plant, golden pothos, peace lily, snake plant and several species of philodendron and Dracaena. A healthier a plant is, the more effective in removing harmful toxins in the air.
- Ornamental Plants for Home Remedies: Some ornamental plants are edible, roots, leaves, stems, or flowers of some plants like Calendula, Lavender etc. have many medicinal values.
- Global warming is a more serious problem that troubling the world these days. Pollution is the root cause of global warming, climate change, and natural disasters. To overcome these problems plants are the best solution. Apart from these ornamental plants will Improve the charm and elegance of your home and a growing garden with ornamental or edible plants of your interest will reap the benefits and contribute towards a greener planet.
Types of Ornamental Plants:
The main concept of ornamental plants is to beautify the landscape. These plants look very pretty and not all the plants produce edible fruits or foliage. Ornamental plants are grown for their incredible beauty and amazing fragrance to stimulate the senses. There are different kinds of ornamental plants, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, ground covers, grasses and bulbs. There are many varieties of ornamental plants that provide a wide range of choices depending on the climatic conditions and landscape positions.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Ornamental Trees
These are beautiful trees can be grown in the landscape of homes and gardens. There are many varieties of ornamental trees, they just don’t provide any fruits, but just give us attractive foliage and blooms. Many gardeners choose ornamental trees like cherry trees and dogwoods that produce springtime blooms. These plants add beauty to the landscape or gardens with their floral display and provide good shelter.
Some examples of ornamental trees are Japanese maple, weeping willow and birch are the varieties of ornamental trees that do not bloom. Ornamental trees that do bloom are magnolia, pear, cherry, apple and lilac. And all the ornamental trees will lose their leaves during the winter season and sprout new growth in spring.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Ornamental Shrubs
Shrubs are bushy ornamental plants that come in many sizes from low-lying border plants to towering evergreen shrubs. Ornamental Shrubs are evergreen or deciduous plants these plants are both blooming and non-blooming varieties. Shrubs are chosen depending on the number of ornamental qualities. Flowering shrubs are also a good choice, but the foliage can be the best choice for the landscape.
Some Example of Ornamental Shrubs: Weigela, barberry, camellia, lilac and heath are some popular varieties. And most of the ornamental shrubs are deciduous.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Ornamental Flowering Plants:
Ornamental flowering plants are well known for their beautiful flowers and are best choice the indoor, outdoor and vertical gardens. Ornamental flowering plants are classified into Annual flowering and perennial flowering plants. These plants produce attractive flowers with amazing scents.
Some ornamental flowering plants are: roses, sampaguita, ilan-ilang, orchids, chrysanthemums, callalilies and champaca.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Ornamental Grasses:
Ornamental grasses are or low-maintenance ornamental and give you a stunning display of foliage. There are hundreds of varieties of grasses ranging from size 6-inch tall clumps to towering columns of thick reeds. Some varieties of ornamental grasses produce beautiful and colorful flowers during the growing season. Ornamental grasses need good care, they need good watering and regular pruning is required.
Meadow foxtail, bamboo, reed grass, pampas grass, sedge, blue fescue, papyrus, fountain grass are some varieties of ornamental grasses used to decorate your landscape. All the ornamental grasses are evergreen.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Ornamental Herbs:
Ornamental herbs are aromatic plants and some examples of ornamental herbs are lavender, sage, mint and marigold. These ornamental herbs are propagated for culinary and aromatherapy uses. Some edible ornamental herbs are Thyme, basil and rosemary. These plants add flavor to your recipes and spell an amazing aroma around the gardening area.
Growing Ornamental Plants- Ornamental Bulbs:
Ornamental bulbs are flowering plants that produce ornamental blooms in the spring. Ornamental Bulb plants add beauty to the landscape for a short period. Spring flowering ornamental bulbs are different from summer blooming bulbs. Summer blooming bulbs can thrive in the summer heat and produce attractive flowers during the growing season.
Lilies, tulips, daffodils and onion plants are some varieties of ornamental bulb plants.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Conifers:
Conifers are evergreen ornamental trees and shrubs, and these plants stay green throughout the year. These are most-popular ornamental for their attractive color that add amazing beauty to the landscape in all the seasons.
Some example of conifers are Fir, cedar, and juniper.
Factors to consider in Growing Ornamental Plants:
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Best location for growing ornamental plants: Ornamental plants grown indoor, outdoor anywhere. Ornamental plants are garden plants which are grown in the landscaping around buildings, and in parks; and are also best container plants grown both indoors and outdoors.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Ideal location: Can create a bedding display both indoor or outdoor. Or these plants can be grown as an edge for the lawns, these plants are well suited for hanging pots and many varieties of ornamental flowering are used for decorating indoors and outdoors. These plants are also well suited for growing in a window sill, a patio or in a garden with a multitude layered beds, ornamental gardening is best option to create a sense of pride and expectation, coloring the seasons with style and definition.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Soil for Ornamental Plants: For growing ornamental plants, soil plays a key role. These plants don’t grow well with poorly drained soils, these soils can cause plant diseases. Don’t choose the clayey soil, clayey soils will suffocate the root system and kill a plant. And choose site free from plastic content, chemical free, and should free from construction materials. In case of poorly drained soil, prepare a thick bed of well-drained soil. In case of extremely heavy soils, build up a raised bed with well-drained soil, up to 13 to 19 inches high, with the slope of the sides of the bed away from the plants to avoid water logging. Most of the plants prefer well drained soil with pH levels 6 to 7, soil should be acidic to alkaline.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – How to select the suitable plants: select the ornamental plants depending on the local climate and rainfall durations. And the site should be exposed to sun/shade. Selection of plants also depends on the soil draining capability and pH levels.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Temperature for ornamental plants: Ornamental plants grow well at all temperatures. Ideal temperatures for ornamental plants is 25 to 35 degrees.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Fertilizers for Ornamental Plants: Regular fertilization is required for ornamental plants. Use general purpose or garden fertilizer to feed ornamental plants. These garden fertilizers come in many forms liquid concentrates, water soluble crystals, slow release fertilizers, etc. we can use any form of fertilizer for ornamental plants. Fertilizers differ in nutrient content and release duration. The type of fertilizer should be based not only on its cost, but also on the types of ornamental plants and nutrient content of the soil, and the type of desire growth of the plants. Liquid or water-soluble fertilizers are preferred for annual, herbaceous perennials. For woody ornamentals, use granular slow release fertilizers. The most general purpose should have NPK levels in the ration of 10-10-10 or 12-4-8. Using organic fertilizers is also a good option. Best Organic fertilizer for ornamental plants are bone meal, cottonseed meal and animal manures.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Watering Requirements for Ornamental Plants: Most of the ornamental plants need medium watering requirements. Some plants like annuals, herbaceous perennials, azaleas and rhododendron need more water than other ornamental plants. Water the plants only at the base, depending on each plant requirement. Use a hand-held hose, drip or trickle irrigation, micro-sprinklers, or an ooze hose to water ornamentals. The water requirements of the plants depend on the type of ornamental plants, soil and moisture levels of the soil and the climate. The best time to water ornamental plants is at night or in the early morning. As much as 30 percent of the water applied during midday can be evaporated due to heat.
- Growing Ornamental Plants – Mulching for Ornamental Plants: Mulches are in ornamental gardening. Mulching helps to hold the moisture and prevents weed growth. Mulching insulates the roots of plants from temperature fluctuations during the summer and winter. The best mulch used for ornamental plants is organic, fine-textured mulching like pine straw, pine bark mini-nuggets, hardwood chips and straws. Dried leaves are also best natural mulch. You can use inorganic mulches like rock, gravel and marble and these inorganic mulches are the best soil insulators, and they absorb heat in the soil and absorbs water from the plants. Do mulching up to 3 to 5 inches deep or a small ring of mulch around the trunk will also work to some extent. Organic mulches like pine straw or pine bark break down will decompose into the soil and add necessary nutrients to the plants.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Best ornamental plants for vertical gardening:
In vertical gardens, we can grow a wide range of ornamental plants; some ornamental plants are edible, some ornamental plants used mainly for decorative purposes, and some ornamental plants are grown for both decorative and functional purposes. Vertical gardens are the best solution for a compact area gardening in urban areas. Ornamental plants are not only grown in the aesthetic sense of the place and also makes your area eco-friendly.
Sword Fern: This is the best and most commonly opted ornamental plants for vertical gardening. These ornamental plants can be grown in hanging baskets or on living walls. Grows up to 4-5 feet.
- Scientific name: Nephrolepisexaltata
- Climate Requirements: these plants need medium light to complete shade; these plants thrive in temperatures ranging from 25 – 30 degrees.
- The pH range of the soil should be between 7-8.
- Water Requirements: Soil should be kept moist constantly.
Golden Pothos or Money plant: these ornamental plants are a vining plants,the best option for vertical gardening. These plants don’t require much care and grows quickly, easily and it spreads over a wide length of the wall. Grows up to 20 feet height.
- Scientific name: Epipremnumaureum
- Climate Requirements: These plants thrive week in complete shade to medium light. And grows well in humid areas.
- The pH range of the soil should 6.0-7.5 and soil should be fertile and loamy.
- Water Requirements: These plants should be watered once in a week.
- Height: grows up to a length of 20 feet.
English ivy: these are hardy evergreen hardy ornamental plants. These plants spread itself by aerial roots to the walls or any other surfaces. These ornamental plants grown for their lush foliage. Grows up to 20-90feet.
- Scientific name: Hedera helix
- Climatic Requirements: Grows well in full to partial sun and thrive in temperatures ranging from 20-30 degrees.
- These ornamental plants require loamy acidic and alkaline in nature.
- Water Requirements: these plants need moderate watering.
Giant lilyturf: These ornamental plants spread with strap-like leaves that are glossy and dark green. These plants are famous for its dense green foliage, these plants produce flowers during the summer and these flowers are quite showy. Grows up to 4 feet tall.
- Scientific name: Liriope gigantea
- Climatic Conditions: These plants require full-sun to full-shade; thrive well in temperatures ranging from 25 to 35 degrees.
- The pH level of the soil should be neutral to acidic, and soil should be loamy or clayey soil. Soil: well-drained loamy or clayey soil.
- Water Requirements: These plants need regular watering during growing season.
Philodendron: These ornamental plants should be grown easily, and these plants will show the signs what these plants exactly need. These plants grow up to 10-20 feet.
- Scientific name: Philodendron scandens
- Climate Requirements: These plants grow well in bright sunlight. Indirect sunlight; temperatures should be from 30-35 degree Celsius.
- The pH level of the soil should be ranging from 6.0-6.5.
- Water: while watering philodendron plants, allow the top inch of the soil to dry out between watering.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Geranium varieties: These are blooming ornamental plants, with deep reds, scarlet, pinks, white, purple, etc. colored flowers and the plant blooms entire gardening season. These plants grow up to 12 inches tall.
- Scientific Name: Geranium dissectum
- Climatic Conditions: Grows well in bright to medium light and thrives well in temperatures between 20 to 30 degree celsius.
- These plants require well-drained soil with a pH level ranging from 6.0-7.5.
- Water Requirements: These plants are drought tolerant and need occasional watering.
Wedding vines: these are best decorative ornamental plants suits well for wedding decorations. These plants are grown vertically and blooms beautiful pure white, waxy, intensely fragrant flowers. Grows up to 6 feet height.
- Scientific l name: Stephanotis floribunda
- Climatic Requirements: Grow well in medium light and temperature should be ranging from 25 to 30 degrees.
- These plants required high content of loam and peat moss to thrive.
- Water Requirements: Deep watering should be done at constant intervals.
- Height: grows up to 6 feet or more.
Peace lily: Peace lily ornamental plants more suitable for vertical garden, these plants grow very quickly and are very easy to grow. These plants grow up to 2 feet height. These plant blooms with a bunch of white flowers.
- Scientific name: Spathiphyllumwallisii
- Climate requirements: grow well in bright to medium light; thrive well in temperature between 22-25 degree celsius.
- Water Requirements: these plants should be watered once a week; the leaves of the plants should be sprayed with distilled water throughout the summer growing season.
Star jasmine: These are evergreen ornamental plants and are easily trained on a trellis. These plants grow up to 3 to 9 meters. And blooms white colors, flowers.
- Scientific name: Trachelospermumjasminoides
- Climatic Conditions: grows well in partial to full sunlight.
- Water Requirements: Requires medium watering.
English lavender: these ornamental plants are evergreen herbs, thrives in summer and dry weather. These ornamental plants are functional and decorative plants. Grows up to 1-2 meters height. Produces lavender color blooms.
- Scientific name: Lavandula
- Climate Requirements: thrives well in full sun; these can resist temperature between 20 to 25 degree celsius.
- These ornamental plants require neutral to alkaline soil.
- Water Requirements: these plants require regular watering.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Tips for growing Ornamental plants indoors:
- Plymouth Rock Chicken Facts, Profile, Characteristics
- Oil Palm Cultivation (Palm Oil) Guide
- Horse Gram Farming Information Guide
- Jowar Farming (Sorghum) Information Guide
- Growing Meshashringi(Gymnema Sylvestre)
- Jatropha Cultivation Information Guide
- Curry Leaf Farming Project Report, Cost, Profits Guide
- Coriander Farming Profit, Cost, Project Report (Dhania)
- Emu Farming Profits and Case Study in India
- Dairy Project Report With 50 Murrah Buffaloes
- How To Enhance Reproduction In Dairy Cattles
- Marigold Farming Information Detailed Guide
- Saffron Farming Project Report, Cost and Profit
- Kaju Cultivation Tips, Growing Methods in India
- Backyard Fish Farming Guide For Beginners
Many gardeners feel exciting in growing plants in indoors. There are many eye-popping varieties of ornamental plants that grow well inside the house. Best ornamental plants that grow indoors are orchids, bougainvillea, scented geraniums, exotic begonias, pentas, and gardenias. These tropical ornamental plants will bring will make your house green, but also add both color and fragrance to your home. Below are some tips for growing ornamental plants indoors.
- Soil: For indoor plants, soil used depends on the types of the plant’s. The plants like cactus, succulents and rosemary need well drained soil. And ornamental plants like African violets and ferns thrive well in high humus content soil. And other plants like orchids need fir bar or sphagnum moss to thrive. Using a commercial potting mix is highly recommended which is composed of peat moss, vermiculite and perlite. The Soilless potting soil is highly recommended, but these soils absorb more moisture and they need a constant supply of water.
- Organic Matter: Adding organic matter like leaf mold, natural compost, peat, compost, or rich garden soil will improve the microorganisms and nutrient in the soil.
- Temperature: To keep the plants healthy and beautiful you should maintain an ideal temperature arrange. This temperature range will maximize the plant growth. For most fast-growing annuals ornamental plants, a good initial temperature range should be maintained between (21.1-26.6°C). Some ornamental plants prefer high temperature. This temperature range will show great impact on the blooming and growing stage.
- Humidity: the most indoor plants love humidity. Normal ornamental plants need 50 percent or higher humidity and even can thrive at 30 to 40 percent of humidity in the air. If the air becomes dry and when the leaves unable to absorb enough water their leaves turn pale and yellow. In winter the humidity levels in air fall low, in that case use an air sprayer or other humidifiers to balance the humidity levels. Or can place your plants on a gravel-filled tray that contains about 1/4 inch of water. This maintains the humidity levels in the air around the plants.
- Water: Indoor plants should be watered at regular intervals. Overwatering the plants can harm the indoor ornamental plants or even some plants die due to overwatering. Indoor plants will require frequent watering during sunny and warm weathers and reduce water during winter and rainy seasons.
- Nutrients: Indoor ornamental plants are not heavy feeders. Just feed them occasionally. A standard 10-10-10 formulation is the best choice most indoor plants.
- Light for indoor Ornamental plants: each plant has different light requirements. Some grow well in complete shade and some need complete 12 hours of light. Depending the light requirements of the plants use grow lights or keep them near windows where they get necessary light. Most flowering plants, and foliage plants are sun-loving so place them near a sunny, south-facing window. During the winter months, move all the plants closer to windows to compensate for the decrease in light. Most plants thrive well in 12 to 16 hours of light per day. To increase the plants you need to provide supplemental lighting provision.
Growing Ornamental Plants – Best Ornamental Plants for Indoors:
Growing Ornamental Plants – Indoor Ornamental Plants:
Looking to add a touch of green to your home? Growing indoor plants in your home has many advantages s – these plants can provide you fresh air and enrich our homes with their beauty and amazing scent will improve our quality of living and these indoor gardens will keep our mood and mind peaceful. For growing ornamental plants in indoor the first step is to choose the right plants that suits your home environment. And not all the ornamental plants thrive in indoor climate and should they need basic care and watering.
Here’s a list of low-maintenance indoor plants in India you can choose from.
- Snake plant: these indoor ornamental plants are the best house plants that can purify the air. And these plants are easy to maintain and can thrive in complete shade and it can inhale the heavy toxins and chemical in the air and increase the oxygen levels in the air.
- Money plant: These plants are the most popular indoor plants seen in every home. And these plants can grow in the soil and water and can grow in indoors and outdoors. The money plants are the best air purifiers and are also considered as the best sign got peace and prosperity as per the FengShui principle.
- Lucky bamboo plant: These are the best plants that it seen in almost all the living rooms. These plants grow well near a window in indirect sunlight, these bamboo trees can be grown in both water and soil. If growing them in water, water should be changed constantly. These plants need constant pruning and these plants can be given many shapes. These are best decorative plants.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera Is the most common ornamental plants that not only used to beautify the house but these plants are also functional. These plants have many medicinal properties. These plants don’t need any care and can be grown anywhere in the house. These plants are also called miracle plants for its amazing health benefits. A sunny window is the best place to grow these ornamental plants.
- Peace Lily: these indoor ornamental plants not only have great foliage, but also have amazing smell, peace lily can enhance the beauty of the house and increase quality of air and adds sweet smell in the house. These indoor ornamental plants need medium sunlight are easy to maintain and need very little care. These plants need medium watering levels and these plants produce beautiful flowers round the year.
- Dracaena reflexa: these ornamental indoor plants best for house decoration. It suits well for decorating a side table or mental-piece. These plants are slow- growing ornamentals gives your home an amazing look with its bright colored green, lime and yellow leaves.
- Ferns: these are foliage plants with a verdant green canopy of leaves, ferns are most preferred indoor plants around the world. And the plants need moderate levels of sunlight and moisture level soil to thrive. Watering the plants daily and misting the leaves will keep the plants healthy and green.
- Grape Ivy: This is the best container grown ornamental plants, a vined plant like grape ivy can give an aesthetically lovely and amazing look to your house. These plants are easy to maintain and don’t need any care, it just grows anywhere in the house, and thrives even in a low light conditions. And these plants need medium water requirements and acts as great air purifiers with amazing look.
- Anthurium: It is a beautiful indoor ornamental plant which blooms nearly round the year and easily grown in indoors with very low maintenance. These plants come in a wide array of colors and maintaining them indoors is very easy. The plant needs indirect sunlight and moderate but regular watering.
- Areca Palm: These house plants come with lush green, attractive fronds, Areca palms best decorative plants for home interiors. These plants thrive well in indirect sunlight to medium shade, ideal place for these plants are south or west facing window. These plants need regular watering and re-potting every year, these plants grow up to 7 feet.
- African Violets: African violets are best flowering house plants are compact which bloom a wide variety of flower forms in many colors. And these plants need good watering, high humidity, and bright light to complete shade and produces several blooms every year. These plant blooms round the year.
- Poinsettias: Poinsettias are the best and most popular ornamental plants, and these plants are mainly flowers during the Christmas. There are many poinsettia varieties, and this plant produces flowers in pink and white colors, and the standard red poinsettia is still the king of Christmas plants.
- Peperomia: These are waxy ornamental plants are the best to grow, and these plants thrive in more humid conditions. And these plants species can also thrive under the fluorescent lights.
- Dragon Tree: These plants can be grown in your windowsill and can thrive in low-light in an unloved corner. These plants are toxic to animals.