Introduction To Indoor Aquaculture:
Though Aquacultue means many species, let us consoder now this content is for fish and get into details of Indoor Aquaculture.
Aquaculture is one of the fastest growing industries in the World, fish has great demand round the world. It is also one of the main sources of income. Aquaculture minimizes the pressure on wild fish stocks and allows them to grow fast and healthy. There is a good scope to raise fish indoors. The future of aquaculture begins with indoor aquaculture.
In Indoor Aquaculture, the water units constructed using simple plastic containers, aquariums, fish tanks or tubs and tap water to raise fish. It is the excellent way to have an indoor fish farm. The best part of indoor farming is can do it at any scale, large or small, depending on the size of your space.
An alternative to open aquaculture farming, is by a recirculating aquaculture system (RAS). A RAS is an aquaculture farming system, in which culture tanks and filters where water is continuously recycled and monitored to maintain the optimal conditions year-round. Water is treated mechanically to prevent the deterioration and maintain its quality and for removal of particulate matter and biologically by converting the harmful accumulated chemicals into nontoxic ones.
In Indoor Aquaculture, we implement many treatments like ultraviolet sterilization, ozonation, and oxygen injection to maintain optimal water quality. Even though there are many of the environmental drawbacks, there are many benefits like fish escapes, water usage, and the introduction of pollutants. The many latest techniques the improves of efficient fish growth by providing optimum water quality.
Is Indoor Aquaculture Business Profitable?:
Hence there is great demand for locally caught fresh everywhere. There is good scope for Indoor Aquaculture, if you go with organic fish farming. And farming fish using organic methods of pest control and organic herbicides will be a new profitable step in your business. Organic fish farming is a method raising fish using non-toxic methods of raising, feeding and harvesting of fish. There are many people who are willing to lend extra bugs for organic farmed fish. There is a good market for live fish.
Read: RAS Fish Farming.
How to Start An Indoor Aquaculture Business:
If you are planning to start an Indoor Aquaculture business at home or any other indoor premises, could be a great idea, and it doesn’t require a lot of money or resources.
Indoor commercial fish farming is not a tough task, you just need a right method of approach.
- First select a suitable space.
- Purchase the suitable fish species and required equipment to start the journey of fish farming.
- Then you need to conduct proper research on fish farming methods and seeking the guidance of experts to make your farm profitable.
Selecting the suitable space for Indoor Fish Farming:
For indoor fish farm, you can use the indoor swimming pool or tub to get you started. If you don’t have enough space, you can use plastic containers or fish tanks for farming. The size of your container will depend on the size of the fish you are planning raise and the number of fishes you plan on raising and harvesting.
The container/tank size will have to be bigger if you are growing large fish. A variety of freshwater fish are opted for raising in indoors. You should be able to control your light level and temperature of the water, so choose a place where you can get enough space, light and availability of heat during winter.
Selecting the suitable fish species for Indoor Aquaculture:
Once you get selected with a convenient indoor site, you must choose the fish species that grow well in an indoor environment. You should select the best varieties, considering the many aspects.
All the varieties of fresh water fish such as Tilapia, Koi, Trout, Catfish, Rainbow trout, European Perch and many more are suitable for growing in indoor by using simple aquaculture methods.
But before selecting the species, you should decide whether you are planning to grow edible fish that lives year around or the species that have seasonal harvesting.
The number of fishes you are planning to grow depends on the area available. You should choose and buy your juvenile fish, make sure that the supplier you choose have nurtured and raised the fish in a chemical free natural environment.
Once the baby fish swimming in your indoor tanks/ containers, you need to check whether they are growing well, and you should control and monitor their growing and breeding conditions very closely.
Tools / Equipement Required for Indoor Aquaculture
The most important equipment’s and tools needed for Indoor Aquaculture are the:
- Aeration devices, filters.
- Seine reels.
- Water quality testing meters.
- Dissolved oxygen testing meter.
- Handling and grading equipment.
- Diffuser grid.
All these tools are required to create a perfect growing environment for the fishes and you need to purchase these products from reputed supplier.
A filtration system and a pump set up are used to circulate the water from your pump to your plant trays. The waste from your tanks can be used as feed for your plants and then put back into the fish tanks to minimize waste. This process keeps your water free from toxic elements and aerates the water, that helps to maintain the water quality in the fish containers.
You can all the equipment at your local hardware or local pet supply stores. For juvenile fish, check with the local hatcheries for the type of fish best suited for the indoor farming. You can contact the Department of Agriculture for more information and contact them if you have any queries.
For top quality Aquaponic systems, there are some companies that specialize in the type of equipment for Aquaponics that you may need.
You also need to test the water quality regularly, to check the pH levels and also the chemical balance of the water.
The Indoor Farming system reduces the chance to get infected by diseases and it also reduces the chances of pest or insect attacks.
And there is no possibility of pollution from pesticide run-off and toxic chemicals contaminating water bodies.
Read: RAS Farming Project Report.
Importance of Aeration in Indoor Aquaculture:
- Aeration is the most important part in Indoor Aquaculture and you should never compromise in purchasing aeration tools for your indoor fish farm.
- For achieving high yields, you should make sure of smooth supply of dissolved oxygen (DO).
- Aeration is the process through which you can guarantee proper supply of DO in the fish tank0.
- Install high quality products for aeration solutions, the standard oxygen transfer rate becomes three times higher compared to other products.
- The efficiency aeration can be a tremendous transformation with the best products and you can ensure uniform supply of dissolved oxygen throughout the day and night.
- Good quality products will create an ideal environment for the fish to thrive without disturbing the aquatic life.
Feed Management in Indoor Aquaculture:
- Feeding is a very important step in Indoor Aquaculture. You need to supply nutritious and high-quality foods that keep fish healthy and energetic.
- You should be sure that the fish are getting natural food and supplementary feeds in sufficient amount.
- Supplementary fish feeds are prepared by your own and commercial feeds are available in the markets.
- The unconsumed food in the tank can generate toxic gases build up. Providing the best aeration solutions can eliminate these types of problems by removing the toxic gas and supplying sufficient quantity of dissolved oxygen.
Tank Maintenance and Cleaning in Indoor Aquaculture:
- The pond or tank must be kept clean bas the fish always need clean water to thrive.
- We should take proper care and maintenance comes in.
- If you Install good quality aeration solutions, then you do not have to worry too much about manual cleaning.
- The water quality maintains the efficient distribution of oxygen and the food conversion ratio also gets higher with the best aeration products.
- There are many devices available in the market to check the water quality and you need to use them frequently to ensure that water quality is stable.
- In Indoor Aquaculture becomes a very easier, if you use the most dynamic aeration solutions. Many companies offer the most effective and advanced aeration products for Indoor Aquaculture and you need to purchase them to improve the yield and profitability of your fish farming business.
Marketing of Fish:
- While selling your fish and making money from them, make sure you highlight your strong points.
- Make your customers know about the indoor farming methods.
- You should steady market for your products, you will have no difficulty getting the news around about your business.
- Use the latest marketing strategies like online marketing through websites, blogs, and it might help you to expand your business and generate more money.
Advantages of Indoor Aquaculture:
- In Indoor Aquaculture the fish stock will be protected from predators, weather changes and natural calamities
- At an ideal temperature level, optimum water quality and efficient feeding, it is possible to grow fish faster and can harvest anytime during the year.
- Closed, indoor aquaculture systems create a friendly environment and required less water and produces less waste. It is a good alternative to marine aquaculture, it doesn’t result to the pollution of coastal waters with drugs, chemicals and antibiotics
- This integrated farming avoids the fish escapes that is associated with traditional open net pens and cage system of fish farming in coastal waters.
- It supports higher stocking densities and occupies less smaller spaces and lesser management needs. As
- It allows production facilities near to market and saves transportation costs.
Disadvantages of Indoor Aquaculture:
- In this farming system requires a constant supply of electricity to operate.
- And it also needs infrastructure work to set up, which also needs some energy input.
- Infrastructure and energy use translateneed extra investment.
- The fish raised in indoors are carnivorous, they would need large amounts of other fish in their diet. This is major issues in aquaculture is criticized as being unsustainable.
Conclusion of Indoor Fish Farming:
Indoor Aquaculture can be best and easy solution for raising enough fish to supply food for the growing population, and even earns good money and food for ourselves. Producing enough fish will release pressure on ocean fish and giving our natural water bodies fish stocks a chance to recover.