Kadaknath Farming Guide, Business Plan/Kadaknath Murgi Farming
Today, let discuss Kadaknath Farming or How to start Kadaknath chicken farming.
Kadaknath Chicken Breed Information:
Black Meat Chicken:
In India, Poultry farming is a vast industry and it is categorized into layer and broiler farming representing egg and meat production respectively. The breeds that are reared in the farms are a hybrid of exotic breeds of chicken. And here we will discuss a special indigenous breed chicken of India called Kadaknath and we are proud to announce us as a large scale Kadaknath poultry farm.
What is Kadaknath Chicken?
This breed is originated through natural selection in indigenous agro-ecological conditions and is completely adapted to the local environment. The Kadaknath birds are highly resistant to diseases compared with other exotic breeds of fowl in its natural habitat in free range. Kadaknath birds very hardy to extreme climatic conditions like summer heat and cold winter stress and can thrive very well under adverse environments like poor housing, poor management, and poor feeding. In the early days, Kadaknath breed of poultry was reared by tribals/Adivasis (Bhils, Bhillalas, and others) and therefore through many generations of selection and fixation of genes, some of the important breed characteristics had been developed. There are three main varieties of Kadaknath breed, which are seen in Jhabua District. The most common Kadaknath chicken varieties are Jet Black, Pencilled and Golden Kadaknath. The Jet-black male hens and females are black in color, the Golden adult male and females were basically black in color with Golden feathers on the head and neck, and the Pencilled variety adult male and female plumage have black with white feathers on the neck. In all the three varieties, skin, beak, shanks, toes and soles of males as well as females were dark gray colored, whereas the tongue was dark gray or light black color. Comb, Wattles and earlobes were light gray to dark gray colored. However, in the comb, Wattles and earlobes purple hue colored were also observed. In all the three varieties of Kadaknath breed, most of the internal organs exhibit intense black coloration mainly due to deposition of melanin pigment in the connective tissue of organs and in the dermis. Kadaknath breed chickens are poor in egg production potential, but their black meat is very delicious, healthy and popular. Its flesh has high nutritional value and is being used for the treatment of many diseases in human beings by tribal / Adivasis living in Jhabua District of Madhya Pradesh. But this study needs proper scientific evaluation. In many states of India, Kadaknath birds are in great demand and are very costly.
As per NBAGR study, there are 19 breeds of native chickens in India; Kadaknathis most famous and prominent of them. This breed is native to the state of Madhya Pradesh and the tribes of Bhil and Bhilala communities reared them for many centuries. The main specialty of this breed is the flesh and internal organs of this chicken are black in color. So, it is also referred to as Black Meat Chicken (BMC). It’s also to be noted that it is the only black meat, chicken breed of India. Though the meat is black in color Kadaknath breed comes in three different colored feathers viz. Jet black, golden and penciled.
Kadaknath is a very hardy chicken breed, and this breed is adaptable to all climatic conditions and it is highly resistant to diseases.
The quality of Kadaknath meat is highly appreciated for its distinctive taste, texture, and flavor. The flesh of these chickens will be in black color and it’s believed to have good medicinal value. So, it is very popular among the Adivasis. People use these chickens for devotional offering to god.
Read: Rhode Island Chicken Facts.
Heath Benefits of Kadakanth Chickens:
Kadaknath is rich in protein content. Protein in other breed chicken 18 to 20%, while Kadaknath has 25% higher as per research Kadaknath has lower cholesterol 0.73 to 1.37% while broiler chicken has 13 to 25%. Kadaknath is rich in amino acids.
Kadaknath chickens are good sources of are niacin, protein, fat, calcium, phosphorus, iron, nicotinic acids, etc. And the vitamins are B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E.
Medicinal Properties of Kadaknath:
- The Kadaknath meat is used for treating various ailments, a particularly nervous disorder. The blood of Kedarnath’s used as a medicine for treating chronic diseases by the tribes and its meat is used to infuse vigor in male as an aphrodisiac.
- The Kadaknath meat and eggs have a melanin pigment which is the source of sildenafil citrate, and this acts as a vasodilator that increases blood flow to the heart and acts as Viagra.
- Kadaknath has the ability to cure certain special ailments for women such as habitual abortion, sterility, abnormal mensuration (menoxenic).
Kadaknath Chickens Feed Requirements:
For Kadaknathchicks of age between 0-10 weeks, the protein levels in feed should be 10-20%. In the case of meat birds such as pheasant, quail, and turkey 22-24% protein is required in their diet. The higher level of protein in the feed will help to increase the growth of chicks. For grower Kadaknath, the protein level must be 15-16% in their diet and for layers; the protein level must be 16% in their diet.
For the chicks (0-10 weeks), the first water of the chick should include a 1/4th cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon of Terramycin/gallon and second water include 1 teaspoon of Terramycin and then you should feed normal water is given. Feed one quart of water to every four chickens. The water should be fresh and clean.
Carbohydrates are highly necessary for the chickens to maintain the temperature and to mix body fat. For this whole, the chickens need energy which will come from the feed that is good source carbohydrates. The number of carbohydrates shouldn’t exceed the amount of more than 10% in their feed as it is difficult for them to digest.
The mineral material is very important and is used to make bones and eggs and used for other body movement and health. The mineral material that is required is Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Chlorine, Sulphur, Manganese, Iron, Copper, Iodine, Zinc, Cobalt and Selenium. Feed the chickens with feed that is a good source of all these materials.
Kadaknath Chickens Management:
Housing and care: ForKadaknathchicken farming, you need a suitable land in which maximum chick development and egg development take place. The house should be at some height from the road so that rainwater can easily flow out and it also keeps the house protected from the flood. There should a constant Fresh water supply. There should be 24 hours electricity supply. The chicken shelter must be away from the industrial and urban area, as the fertilizer of chicken will pollute the environment and causes flies’ problem for the people. The farm should be free from noise as the noise problem will affect the production of birds. The smoke of factories is not good for bird health.
Kadaknath chicks care: Raising baby chicks require proper attention and an incubator. Eggs should be placed in an incubator for about 21 days for giving them a suitable temperature. After hatching, remove the chicks from the incubator after 48 hours. Kadaknath chicks should be handled very carefully while taking out from the incubator. After taking out chicks from the incubator, place them in the brooder. For the first week, the temperature of the brooder should be 35 °C and it must be dropped gradually every following week. Kadaknath chicks should be given a proper feed at the proper time, along with clean and fresh water every time in the brooder.
Kadaknath Chicken Vaccination Schedule: Vaccinations are required for their good growth chickens. Some important vaccines or medicines that are required for maintaining chicken’s good health are listed below:
- For the chick is one day old, give them HVT vaccination that protects chicks from Marek’s disease. The influence of injection will be up to 18 months.
- For the chick is 4-7days old, give them RD vaccinations (F1 strain) this protects the chickens from Ranikhet disease. The influence of this injection will be up to 2-4 months.
- When the chick is 18-21days old, give them IBD vaccination, which protects chicks from Gumboro disease.
- For the chicks of age 4-5 weeks old give them RD (F1 strain) vaccination which protects them from Ranikhet disease.
- For the chick is 6-8 weeks old give them RD (F2B strain) vaccination which protects them from Ranikhet disease. The quantity should be 5ml of medicine for each chick.
- For the chicks of age 8-10 weeks old give them chicken pox vaccination, which protects them from chicken pox disease.
Diseases in Commercial Kadaknath Chicken Farming:
Bird flu (Avian influenza):
This disease is caused by influenza and the death rate of 100%. The infection is infected through the respiratory pipe, tears, and waste. The disease is highly contagious, and it easily infects from one chicken to another. This disease mainly spreads through unhealthy food and water utensils, cages and clothes. The major symptoms are sick chickens, loss of appetite, low egg production rate, comb color turns yellow, and causes early death.
- Prevention: To control this disease, avoid taking anything inside or outside of the chicken house. Use separate shoes inside the chicken house. Treat your feet with medicated water, before entering into the farm. Use Germ destroyer such as Qualitol, spray this in and around the chicken house.
- Cautions during disease: this disease may even affect the human, so wear proper clothes and gloves before you handle the diseased chickens. Dispose of the influenced chickens completely in the soil. Meat should be boiled at 70°C, at this temperature infection gets killed completely and it is used for eating.
Read: Plymouth Rock Chicken Facts.
Vitamin A deficiency:
The symptoms major symptoms of this disease are beak and legs get fainted yellow and chickens shake their head constantly.
- Treatment: to treat this deficiency, Add more amount of Vitamin A in the feed and feed them with green feed.
The disease is caused due to vitamin B2 deficiency and it is mainly seen is growing birds. The major symptoms are paws turn inside.
- Treatment: Add Vitamin B2 in the feed.
Vitamin D deficiency:
The disease is mainly caused due to vitamin B2 deficiency or due to poor quality feed, that causes improper calcium and phosphorus levels in the body.
- Treatment: Add Vitamin D3 in the feed.
It is a highly contagious disease and it infected birds of all ages. The major symptoms are sores on a comb, around eyes and ears.
- Treatment: Use Homeopathic medicine of antimoniumtorterix to cure chicken pox.
It is a parasitic disease infected by coccidian protozoan. The disease mainly infects the chicks having age between 3-10 weeks.
- Treatment: Proper sanitation is highly required. For chickens up to 12 weeks chick’s treat them with the coccidiostat in the feed, you can also usebefran or amprol @50g/qtl feed, clopidol @125g/qtl, stanorol @50g/ton of feed.
Leucosis and Marek’s:
It is a highly contagious disease which is infected to birds via air, feathers, soil to 30 days old chicken. The major symptoms are, fainted legs, feather and neck, grey color eyes and may get blind.
- Treatment: the chick of age one day old, vaccinate them with Marek’s vaccine. Proper sanitation and care should be taken.
It is also called as a New Castle disease. It is a highly contagious disease and it spreads to birds of all ages. The major symptoms are a high death rate, breathing problems, fainted legs and feathers.
- Treatment: vaccinate the chickens of age 1 to 2 weeks, with the Ranikhet medicine of F strain, and after 4 weeks interval gives them F-1 vaccination.
Fatty liver syndrome (FLS):
The disease is mainly caused due to feeding digestion problem which causes fat deposition in the body. This disease is mainly seen in the egg-producing chicken or broiler which has given more energy feed. The symptoms are low egg production rate, reduce body weight and blood spots are seen in the liver and body.
- Treatment: reduce the energy content in the feed.
This disease is mainly caused due to humidity and hot rains. The major symptoms are low of appetite, low egg production rate, increased thirst, and low blood level.
- Treatment: Feed the infected chickens with Livol or liv-52 or tefroli tonic by adding in feed or given through water.
Kadaknath Farming Business Guide:
In India, Poultry farming is a high Profitable Business. And there are Unique Chicken Breeds in India that give huge profits. Among them, Kadaknath Chicken Breed/ Black chicken breed is the most prominent one. It is one of the rarest Chicken Breed in India. The Kadaknath Chicken breed is originated from Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh State. The breed is highly famous for its Complete Black Colour meat. In addition, the Kadaknath Chicken Meat is very famous for its proteinous meat which has amazing taste and texture. And nowadays in India, there is a good demand for the Kadaknath Chicken Breed and is increasing at a rapid rate.
Kadaknath Chicken Eggs Cost:
Here we will discuss the cost of Kadaknath Chicken Eggs, that helps you in getting interested to start commercial Kadaknath Chicken Farming Business. In the market, Kadaknath Eggs price is Rs.550 to 750 per Kg. Sometimes, as they are highly nutritious, they are sold at the rate of Rs. 50 per Egg.
Kadaknath Farming Technology:
Earlier, raising this Chicken Breed has a very high Mortality rate of 50%. In the recent past, advances in Kadaknath farming, have reduced the Mortality rate to 8 to 10%. This increased the Popularity of the Kadaknath Chicken that has a good survival percentage along with overall income returns in Kadaknath Chicken Farming. The breeds are also reared in either Backyard or in Poultry Farms. However, Backyard farming is best forKadaknath Chickens rather than Commercial Poultry Farming methods.
Benefits of Kadaknath Chicken:
- The flavor and meat texture of Kadakanth chicken is very good. However, the Kadaknath Chicken Meat has a very good taste.
- Kadaknath Chickens are a highly adaptable breed that survives well in various environmental conditions.
- The demand for this chicken breed is high all over the world. So, you can easily sell their Meat at the high cost that gives huge margins.
- This breed of meat and eggs are a rich source of vitamins and various types of amino acids.
- Kadaknath Meat has high medicinal values, that increases the levels of both hemoglobin and blood levels in the human body.
- This chicken breed has a higher feed conversation ratio.
- This chicken meat is used to cure various medical problems like a headache, post delivery problems, nephritis, and asthma.
- The chicken breeds are highly resistant to all poultry diseases.
- This black breed chickens are the rare birds that are present in the world.
- Unlike Broiler Chicken, Kadaknath chickens can survive at low-cost food habitats at commercial scale.
- Commercial Kadaknath Chicken Framing easily fetches good profits.
- Many state governments are offering many financial support schemes to encourage Kadaknath Chicken Farming.
Challenges of Kadaknath Farming:
When compared to other Poultry Farming, Kadaknath Farming has very few disadvantages.
- Lack of proper and enough financial assistance from various private and government banks.
- The Kadaknath Chicks are very rare.
How to Start Commercial Kadaknath Chicken Farming Business:
- It is very simple to start Kadaknath Chicken Farming.
- First, buy the Kadaknath breed chicks from the nearest Animal Husbandry or Visit any Veterinary University or Centre of excellence institute for assistance.
- In case commercial rearing of Kadaknath, start with 30 or 50 numbers of birds at the first level.
- Get the Chicks from the reputed supplier.
- Provide proper care and management for a period of 30 to 35 days, get the assistance the veterinarian.
- The starting process and housing requirements are similar to Broiler Poultry Farming, you continue Kadaknath Chicken farming.
- Strictly follow the vaccination at regular intervals.
Kadaknath Chicken Breed Facts:
- Average Weight of KadakanthEgg: 45 to 50g.
- Feed requirements: 50 Kg Approximately for the entire lifecycle of a chicken.
- Male Kadaknath Chicken weighs about: 2.3 to 2.6 Kg
- Female Kadaknath Chicken weighs about: 1.5 to 1.7 Kg
- Kadaknath Chicks weight: 25 to 30 grams
- The survival rate of Kadakanth Chickens: 95%
Kadakanth Chicken Loans, Subsidies and Schemes:
The Government of India (GOI) and other nationalized banks offer subsidies and loans to encourage the growth of the poultry farming business in India. In this block, we will provide complete information regarding subsidies and loans availed for construction of Kadaknath farm.
Poultry plays a key role in the agricultural business sector as in India eggs and meat are the cheap source of proteins and vitamins. The main features of PVCFS are listed below.
- To avail this scheme for the establishment of a commercial poultry farm, a startup entrepreneur should get a loan from a nationalized bank or recommended banks.
- You can get 25% of the sanctioned loan by the NABARD and 33% in the case of reserved categories like SCs STs.
- The 25% -33% of the total investment will be backed up and adjusted by NABARD.
- To avail this scheme, you get 40% of the outlay cost as a bank loan.
- In case, if an outlay costing is INR 5 lakhs, the bank loan you get must be 2 lakhs.
- To get loans more than 1 lakh, 10% of the total outlay cost should be arranged by startup entrepreneur.
Who can apply for the scheme?
- Small and Marginal farmers
- Individual entrepreneurs/group.
- Private Ltd. companies
- Organized and unorganized groups.
Loans for Kadaknath Chicken Farming:
The State Bank of India (SBI) has launched some specific loans for Kadakanth chicken farming. This is a scheme offers loans the poultry farmers under contract farming. Under this scheme, loans can be availed for both existing farmers and startup entrepreneurs. This scheme gives financial support to construct poultry shed, feed room and also finances to purchase other poultry equipment.
Eligibility Criteria to avail this Broiler Plus Loan:
The startup entrepreneur/ existing farmers with experience in poultry farming or they should undergo training in poultry farming. They should make a contract with companies undergoing poultry production. The farmer should possess adequate land to construct the poultry farm. The land you choose should be 500 meters away from any existing nearby poultry farm with water/electrical facilities must be adequate.
Commercial flock size in Kadaknath Farming:
The average flock size should be 5000 to avail this loan. They also provide loans for flock size with 10,000 to 15,000.
Amount of loan provided:
- The loan amount is Up to 75% of the total expenditure or up to 3 lakhs for a flock size of 5,000.
- The Maximum loan limit is up to 9 lakhs by a farmer or any startup individual.
Security Demanded to Avail the Broiler Plus Loan:
You should have to mortgage the land of your broiler poultry farm to the bank.
How to Repay Broiler Plus Loan:
- The loan repayment can be done either in installments or monthly intervals.
- The repayment period for the entire loan in 5 years inclusive of 6 months as a grace period.
How to Apply for it?:
- Contact the nearby State bank of India branch.
Where to buy Kadaknath chicks?
There are many suppliers who supply Kadaknath chickens for Commercial Poultry Farming:
- Mahalakshmi Dairy Farm-Ram Nagar, Karnal
- Praveen Enterprises- South City, Lucknow
- Sri Krishna Poultry Farm- Magadi, Bengaluru
- JKS Enterprises-Coimbatore
- Hindusthan Poultry Farm-Thalaivasal, Salem
- Maruthi Enterprises-Anantapur
- Raje Farms-Kamothe, Navi Mumbai
- Saligrama Poultry’s-Somanhalli, Bengaluru
- Kam Dhenu Farms-Anumala Township, Vyara
- Green Go Comercio-Hongasandra, Bengaluru
- K.I Poultry Farm And Hatchery-Panchanad Nagar, Navi Mumbai
- Hypefood-Gazipur, New Delhi
- Bhumika Animal Breeder Farm-Bilkisganj, Sehore
- Darya Sarang-Bhandup West, Mumbai
- C & H Bright Farming Private Limited-Nashik Road, Nashik
- Sairam Rabbit Farming Private Limited Company-Bommathathanur, Bengaluru
- Jawade Cattle & Poultry Farm-Chandrapur
- Meera Agro Farms-Sayaal, Nanded
- Real Agro-Udgir, Latur
- Sekar Country Chicken Farm-KammavanpettaiRaanuvapettai, Vellore
- Good Luck Chicken Shop-Turbhe, Navi Mumba
- NfDeshiDeshi Chicken.com-Bhekrai Nagar, Pune
- Chintamani Farms-Kalantrewadi, Karad
- Bhopal Animal Breeder Farm-Bhopal
- Mirza Poultry-Metpalli
- Manjunath Poultry Farm-Northen Extension, Hassan
- Quraishi Farm-Nashik
- Q Uail Farm-Haripur, Barpeta
- Shaheb Poultry Farm-Kurla East, Mumbai
- S S Fresh Farms-Bengaluru
- Marvel Agro Kingdom-Pombhurna, Chandrapur
- Small Beaks-Devanhalli
- Shahnavaj Enterprises-Shri Ram Colony, Nashik
- BR Kadaknath Poultry Form-Gothangaon, Gondia MIDC
- J N Agri-Etawa, Bina-Etawa
- KGN FaramDevliya Kala-Ajmer
- Sri Lakshmi Ganapathy Poultry-Gudivada Road, Vijayawada
- SV Poultry Products Limited-Anantapur
- Aravind GauSeva (India) Private Limited-Jakkeri PO & Panchayath, Krishnagiri
- SF Poultry Farm-Rakai Road, Kareli
- Syeds Pure Country Chicks-Karimnagar
- Jattana Poultry Farm-Patta Sarna, Hanumangarh
- Himalayan Agricultural & Farming-Aampadaw, Nainital
- SMR Enterprises-Hyderabad
- Sm Traders Poultry Services-Avadi, Chennai
Kadaknath Chicken Price:
- KadakanthChickens Prices: The birds currently go for Rs2, 000 to Rs 2,500 a piece and you will have to shell out Rs 50 per egg.
- Kadakanth Chicks Price: 60 to 100 rupees.
- Kadakanth Meat Price: The chicken’s black meat is priced between Rs 700- Rs 1,000 per kilogram.
Kadaknath Chicken Contract Farming:
The Companies are looking for a group of contract farmers to provide end to end solutions like service of a veterinary doctor, delivery of feeds to farm, technical advice and marketing of chicken to get maximum benefit and they can continuously and profitably engage in chicken farming.
List of Companies for Kadaknath Contract Farming:
- Sri Lakshmi Saraswathi Poultries- Pedapadu Mandal, Eluru.
- Rooster Agro Services-Jawaharnagar, Kolhapur.
- V & V Farm-Nayapura, Kota
- M/s Astha Feed Center-Six Mile, Guwahati
- PushpkAyurdhan Farm-Shrirampur
- SRI ENTERPRISES-Anantapur, Tirupati
- Amrut Chicks Private Limited-Sangamner
- Green Go Comercio-Hongasandra, Bengaluru
- Maruthi Enterprises-Anantapur
- Golden Enterprises-PT Rajan Road, Madurai
- Gagana Farms-Amberpet, Hyderabad
- Tharun Poultry Farm-Anantapur
- BhullerKadaknath Farm-Uula, Faridkot
- Mahalakshmi Dairy Farm-Ram Nagar, Karnal
- KB Livestock Farm-Omalur, Salem
- Yuva Poultry Wholesaler-Manikonda, Anantapur
- KS Live Stock Farm-Thethigiripatty, Salem
- Meera AgroFarmsSayaal, Nanded.
- Renuka Poultry-Aurangabad
Marketing for Kadaknath Chickens:
There is a good market for black chickens, By implementing the some latest marketing techniques you can earn good margins. Best sources for marketing:
- Online marketing- make a website and sell them through some popular online seller like Amazon, Bigbasket, Indiamart, or Groffers etc.
- Make contract will the meat seller like Suguna, vencobb, and Chef & Butchers etc.
- You can directly open an outlet, as the consumers love fresh meat.
Conclusion of Kadaknath Chciken Contract Sarming and Subsidy:
You may apply the above information for kadaknath contract farming in Karnataka, kadaknath contract farming in Tamilnadu, kadaknath contract farming in Telangana, kadaknath contract farming in Maharashtra, kadaknath contract farming in Andhra Pradesh, kadaknath contract farming in Kerala, kadaknath contract farming in Bihar, kadaknath contract farming in Madhya Pradesh, kadaknath contract farming in Uttar Pradesh, kadaknath contract farming in West Bengal, kadaknath contract farming in Gujarat, kadaknath contract farming in Rajasthan, kadaknath contract farming in Punjab, kadaknath contract farming in Haryana, kadaknath contract farming in Uttarakhand, kadaknath contract farming in Chhattisgarh, kadaknath contract farming in Odisha, kadaknath contract farming in Assam, kadaknath contract farming in Himachal Pradesh, kadaknath contract farming in Nagaland, kadaknath contract farming in Meghalaya, kadaknath contract farming in Tripura. You might be interested in Making Chicken Manure Compost for Garden Plants.