Livestock Farming Tips, Ideas, Secrets, Techniques
What is Livestock Farming?
Livestock farming defined as the management and breeding of domestic, farm, or livestock animals to obtain their meat and products like milk, eggs, and leather, etc. It is a profitable business worldwide. The demand for livestock products is increasing rapidly. The main reasons are the immense growth of population, income growth, rapid urbanization, and the production response in different livestock systems. Animal husbandry practices have changed widely across cultures and periods. Livestock farming produces milk and meat for human consumption. Milk and meat provide important nutritional compounds, particularly protein.
Livestock demand is rapidly growing for livestock products, and this demand mainly depends on population growth, urbanization in developing countries, and increased revenue. It is one of the oldest economic activities of man started by early men. Then, it guarantees food supply, hides, skins, bones, milk, and other animal products without going to the forest to hunt. It mainly includes the breeding of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, poultry, rabbits, snails, fishes, and honeybees.
Livestock production is important to exchange between rural households and when sold, contributes to boost and strengthen rural markets. Managing livestock includes the care of farm animals and the monitoring of farm staff. Managing livestock mainly needs awareness of animal science and animal husbandry, and sound business sense as well. Most livestock farm owners do tend to keep accounting accounts for their activities. Depending on the size of the farm, managers can conduct some physical tasks such as running and maintaining machinery, as well as attending to the livestock personally.
Proper feeding is an important factor for success in livestock farming. Proper feeding of farm animals achieves the following;
- Supply of energy to the body
- Produce resistance to diseases
- Maintenance of body activities like blood circulation, and respiration, etc.
- Provision of body nutrients needed for growth
- Production of milk, egg, meat, and fat
- Production of hair, skeleton, and muscle
- Maintenance of body temperature
A Guide to Livestock Farming Tips, Secrets, Ideas, and Techniques
Importance and Benefits of Livestock Farming
- Livestock farming in India is a vital activity in the development of humanity and continues to occupy a prominent place among the primary activities of the world economy. It generates high-quality food products such as meat, egg, milk, and cheese, etc.
- Other local economic sectors benefit directly or indirectly from its activity like food processing industries, handicrafts, tourism, and hospitality.
- Livestock production is one of the few human productive economic activities that are truly sustainable.
- Livestock generates employment opportunities and serves as a source of income. Also, it can serve as a hobby for some people.
- Bigger animals like cattle, horses, and donkeys can be used for some special farm operations such as ploughing, harrowing, and even beasts of burden.
Better growth – Livestock production can be difficult. The farmers who use the app for livestock management get an additional benefit because this app program assists with the new developments being changed in livestock farming. It gives the business a stronger chance of improved farm production.
Food – The livestock products like milk, meat, and eggs are an important source of animal protein to the members of the livestock owners.
Weed control – Livestock are used as biological control of brushes, plants, and weeds.
Cultural – Protects livestock owners and particularly adds to their self-esteem after they own prized animals like pedigrade bulls, dogs and high yielding cows or buffalo, etc.
Income – Livestock is a source of subsidiary income for many people particularly the resource-poor who maintain few heads of animals. Cows and buffaloes if in milk will provide regular income to the raising livestock farmers through the sale of milk. Also, the animals serve as moving banks and assets which provide economic security to the owners.
Employment – A large number of people depend upon agriculture for their livelihoods. But agriculture being seasonal can employ a maximum of 180 days in a year. The landless and fewer land people mainly depend upon livestock for utilizing their labor during the lean agricultural season.
Livestock Farming Techniques
Organic Livestock Farming
Organic farming defined as a livestock production system to obtain the highest quality food without using synthetic chemicals like pesticides, and chemical fertilizers, etc. Also, animals need a large space and feed on natural products. Organic production not only creates income but also promotes the conservation of agro-ecosystems from a long-term perspective.
Organic livestock farming promotes the use of organic inputs from the ecosystem in terms of;
- Animal nutrition (organically grown, good quality food and species-specific diets)
- Animal health (good management, prevention, and stress-free environment)
- Animal housing and breeding ( animals not to be caged, tethered or confined in buildings, clean bedding, natural light, and adaptable breeds chosen)
Another important profitable livestock business idea is pig farming. The majority of pigs are used for human food but their skin, fat, and other materials are also used as clothing, cosmetics, and processed foods ingredients and for medical use.
Dairy farming is widely popular throughout the globe. Though, cattle have the most unique and complex lifecycle of any food. Also, it includes a variety of segments. Dairy farming is easy and it demands moderate capital investment and strategic planning. The plants which process milk and produce milk products are called a dairy plant or dairy. Animals that are used for milk production in the dairy farm are known as dairy animals. The demand for milk and milk product is increasing rapidly. The increasing cost of feed ingredients and also its seasonal variability can be reduced by undertaking fodder cultivation.
You may also check this: Greenhouse Ginger Farming.
Quail farming means raising quails commercially like other poultry birds for profitable eggs and meat production. Now, people throughout the world performing quail business commercially for meat and egg production. It is a tiny bird consisting of poultry. These days the quail farming sector is gaining enormous importance. Quail meat contains less fat and fewer calories, making it an ideal food for consumers who are health conscious. Quail eggs and meat are renowned for their several vitamins, necessary amino acids, unsaturated fatty acids, and phospholipids. They are important to the physical and emotional wellbeing of humans.
Rabbit farming is both fun and profitable business. You can raise rabbits for both pet and livestock purposes and rabbits are small-sized animals. So, they need less space, feed, care, and management. You can easily raise rabbits on the farm, backyard, terrace, and even at home. Rabbit has a high reproduction capacity.
Sheep are raised mainly for their milk, and fiber (wool), and meat (lamb and mutton) which comes under the branch of animal husbandry. Sheep farming is a lucrative business for livestock farmers. One can raise sheep for its milk, meat, and fiber. But, you want to choose specific breeds depending on the agro-climatic condition of your region. Some of the important sheep-producing countries are mainland China, Australia, India, and Iran, etc. Before starting a sheep farming business, you must draft a clear business plan that should include financial costs and revenue.
In case if you miss this: Vermicompost Business Plan.
People can start poultry farming for eggs as well as meat. In general, egg-producing hens are layers and meat-producing hens are broilers. As the demand for chicken meat is growing day by day, the poultry farming business is a profitable livestock business for farmers. Also, you can easily start poultry farming on a small-scale or large-scale basis.
Duck is one specific type of poultry chicken. If you want to start a low-cost livestock farming company, then you can think about duck farming. Also, you may grow ducks without water, too. Duck farming is a cheaper activity. Since the ducks are hardy birds, they need less treatment and less energy.
Goat farming is one of the most profitable livestock farming businesses and it gives us milk and meat. They don’t require a big area for housing due to their small body size in comparison to other livestock animals. Goat raising is no longer a modern industry and goat rearing is a lucrative and competitive business as goats have low mortality levels because they are disease-resistant, weather-resistant, and omnivores. It is a lucrative sector, as the goat supplies milk, meat, and fur. Goat farming is a livestock farming sector business that is low-investment and of high income.
Mud crabs are popular in Asian countries like India, Bangladesh, the Philippines, and Thailand, etc. With low capital investment, you can easily start and run a mud crab farming business.
Fish farming is another money-making livestock business for the agropreneurs who have ample water bodies. However, you can also raise fishes on tanks. But starting a fish farming business, it is important to do a market study to understand the local demand.
Livestock Farming Secrets
1. Make a Business Plan
Firstly, you have to make a good business plan for starting and operating your own livestock farming business. You have to include all the expenses, overheads, and costs that you may incur in your farming operation. For making a better business plan for livestock farming, you will need to research your area and note down anything that you think might cost money.
A good business plan must include money for equipment, the cost for purchasing animals, establishment cost, and cost of salary for staff, cost of feed, and also cost for animal care and pasture management. It is a good idea to plan for emergency funds and reserves for any unforeseen occurrences. You can consider purchasing insurance and health care for livestock animals. You can source the fund of your own or obtain loans from any source. The good thing is, a good business plan is also useful and helpful if you want to attract investors or partners and also if you want to obtain loans.
2. Use Drones to Monitor Your Livestock Animals
Drones are particularly useful for livestock farms with hills. Drones can help monitor not just your livestock but also monitor the use of grass and identify livestock animals. However many farmers still do not want to invest in the costly drone, more and more livestock owners do see its benefit in keeping their farms secure and well-monitored. Some types of drones are created specifically to monitor livestock using hyperspectral, multispectral and thermal technology. They also detect areas in the field inflicted by pests, infections, and weeds. Drones can be used to spray chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers on farms.
3. Use Fences for Livestock Animals
Control the movement of livestock by fencing them with a solar-powered virtual rather than an actual fence. These new, innovative fences deliver a noise or a slight electric shock to keep your farm animals in place. Board fences have also been popular. These conventional materials are widely used and make excellent fences if properly constructed.
4. Essential Livestock Equipment
You have to make sure all the machinery and essential items are accessible for livestock farming. But you have to remember the irrigation facilities, feeding equipment, animal sheds, and others. The opportunity to establish a successful livestock company is dependent on willingness to order your supplies. So, it’s necessary to make sure all the appropriate equipment is accessible to operate your company. The required equipment for livestock farming includes feeding machinery, a cattle truck, water tanks, a manure spreader, a corral device, and a headgate.
5. Livestock field Water Requirements
The requirements of livestock water differ based on the size of the farm animals, suitability for arid areas, seasonality, and climatic conditions of the place. Tiny units of livestock like sheep and goats need optimally 7 liters of water a day. Water requirements improve under high protein or salt diets and during high-temperature cycles. It is necessary to ensure animals have safe access to clean drinking water during excessive heat conditions. Farm animals are supplied every day with sufficient drinking water of high consistency.
6. Plan for Capital Investments
Livestock farm equipment is expensive. It can save you money and make you money, or it can put you deeply in debt unless you think through purchases before you buy.
Some Tips for Successful Livestock Farming
- Choosing your livestock – There are many options from laying hens, meat chickens, beef cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits, or fish. Though, laying hens are great because if you purchase hens instead of chicks, you’re getting food every day from the get-go. The other livestock offers larger amounts of food, but some of them will be mainly dependent on where you live and the amount of acreage you own.
- Select Farm Location – Selecting a good location for your farm is important. While choosing a location, try to learn whether raising animals is permitted in your selected area or not. It will be good if there are good transportation and other required facilities obtainable in the selected area. In choosing a location for livestock farms, you have to consider its accessibility by transport, climate, seasonal variances, etc.
- Hardworking – You must be hardworking before you can make a profit or succeed in your farming business.
- Gain a loan for livestock business – You should apply for a loan according to your livestock business plan. Writing down a business plan can allow you to realize that you need to launch a farm company, and how much you want to purchase property, and any things that you will need for a farm company. You must borrow from individuals you think you can. It’s useful to connect with the farm and small business groups who can steer you to where you can go with a loan other than what you’re likely to receive from banks. It is important to go through a business strategy before applying for a loan, as it can increase your chances of having a loan.
- Suitable feeding for animals – Nutrition is necessary for livestock raising, and if you’re in raising for pigs, calves, goats, and grass harvesting, it is best to grow grass throughout the field. Feeding is mainly considered to be one of the most critical considerations for effective livestock raising, as it can work as expected when they are well fed. Livestock feeding needs a great deal of experience, ability, and practice to be able to feed as required. It is necessary to consider the various varieties that can be fed to livestock, and then learn how to blend the different foods to create healthy animal rations.
Some Ideas to Success in Livestock Farming
You can start with half a dozen animals and then expand after learning their feeding habits, their output, feed consumption, and related factors. As a beginner, experimenting with few animals on the farm first before going big is a mark of prudence. It’s always good to dream big but it’s always best to start small before diving in, that way you can learn the ropes of the business gradually, manage losses and learn how to grow the business.
Taking Appropriate Precautions to Prevent Livestock Diseases
Animals imported from temperate climates lack resistance to humidity, heat, ticks, parasites, and tropical diseases so it is very important to keep them in clean stalls where they stay away from disease vectors. Rather than allowing farm animals to graze, farmers must cut the fodder and carry it to the stalls or buy imported feed that guarantees quality. Imported breeds are vulnerable to debilitating diseases mainly caused by tsetse flies as they are not resistant to local diseases and so replacing local cattle with imported breeds for profit.
Thirsts for more knowledge
A successful farmer always searches for knowledge and tips on how to increase yields and profits in livestock. Though, successful farmers are ready to spend money to get up-to-date information by buying books, videos, consult experts, and travelling to get trained on how things are better done.
Purchase Equipment and Machinery
Depending on the size of your livestock farm, you will need to purchase some equipment and machinery. Then, determine farm size, operation type, and financial situation to see what you need for current facilities, equipment, and machinery. Watering facilities, fencing, feed bunks, or bale feeders are a priority above all other assets needed.
Health Is Wealth
Before you invest in livestock, find out which diseases your animals can be susceptible to. Then, see if your region carries the right medication for worst-case scenarios. Animals imported from other countries require special meds that your local pharmacy does not carry. Keeping animals healthy will improve productivity and your skills in animal husbandry.
The disease can spread far and wide when animals are kept in crowded stalls. If you have been purchasing from a livestock animal supplier successfully, your animals should be fine. Though, if you have sourced animals from a new supplier with less than successful rates, it may be time to find better sources.
Nutritionist and veterinarian
Having a veterinarian and a nutritionist can help you develop livestock farming. A competent veterinarian and a nutritionist can also help ensure optimal health for the animals. The likelihood of an effective livestock company can also be improved by establishing a strong partnership with these men. It is important to build a partnership with clients so that they can support you through tough times. So, finding a good veterinarian who can respond quickly when needed is important in livestock farming.
Feeding a Nutritional Diet
It is important to choose feedstuffs that are rich in nutrients so that your livestock animals reach their optimum levels of production. Feeding livestock less human food and allowing them to graze pastures that have high-fiber content improves their overall nutrition intake and resistance to debilitating diseases.
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Australorp Chickens: Profile, Farming Economics, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Silkie Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Sussex Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet and Care
- Homemade Feed Formulations for Livestock: Discover Cost-effective Starter to Finisher Feed Recipes
- 20 Best Pig Weight Gain Supplements: Top Swine Weight Gain Formulas
- Ultimate Guide to Elderberry Farming: Propagation, Planting, Yield, Cost, and Profit
- 100% Effective Strategies for Combating Pests and Diseases in Hibiscus: Prevent and Treat Successfully
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Mums: Ultimate Guide to Protecting Mums
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Home Garden: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Essential Guide to Disease Management for Backyard Poultry Owners
- How to Raise Wyandotte Chickens: A Profitable Wyandotte Farming for Beginners
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Brahma Chickens: Care, Feeding, Egg Production, and Breeding
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Leghorn Chickens: Feeding, Breeding, Egg Production, and Care
- Rabbit Disease Management: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Bolting Management in Plants: Prevention for Premature Flowers and Seeding in Crops and Vegetables
- How to Manage Pests and Diseases in Berry Orchards: A Comprehensive Guide
- Top 20 Goat and Sheep Weight Gain Supplements: Best Sheep and Goat Weight Gain Formulas
- Apple Scab Management: Disease Cycle, Spray Schedule, Fungicides, Control and Prevention Strategies