Benefits and Guide for Murrel Fish Farming in India
Today, we discuss the topic of Murrel fish farming techniques, advantages.
Introduction of Murrel Fish Farming:
Murrel fish is one of the popular freshwater and tasty fish in India. Commercial farming of Murrel fish has significant importance in India. Murrels also cultured in the Philippines, Taiwan & Thailand. Murrel fish also called snakehead fish. Murrel fish belongs to the family of “Channidae”. Murrels have high demand and high market value in India. With good fish management practices, it has a huge potential for high returns.
Health Benefits of Murrel Fish:
Fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein. Some of the health benefits of fish consumption are given below.
- Regular fish consumption may prevent heart disease.
- Regular fish consumption may improve skin and hair.
- Regular fish consumption may reduce Alzheimer’s risk.
- Regular fish consumption may ease depression.
- Regular fish consumption may boost brain development & eye health.
- Regular fish consumption may reduce some types of cancer.
- Regular fish consumption may control diabetes.
In this article, let us discuss Murrel fish farming in the pond.
Local Names of Murrel Fish in India:
Murrai, (Hindi), Koramenu, Koramatta (Telugu), Viral meen (Tamil), Korava, Vatton (Malayalam), Cheng (Bengali), Maral (Marathi), Hal (Assamese), and Gadisha (Oriya).
Types in Murrel
There are 4 types of Murrels cultivated in India (especially in Andhra Pradesh).
|S.NO.||Common Name||Scientific Name|
|1||Giant Murrel||Channa marulius|
|2||Striped Murrel||Channa striatus|
|3||Spotted Murrel||Channa punctatus|
|4||Mud Murrel||Channa gatchua|
Land Selection in Murrel Fish Farming:- Land selection in Murrel fish farming must be a number one priority and it should meet 2 standards. The pond should be positioned above the plain and should possess good quality water. As part of land or pond preparation, metabolic waste should be removed.
Read about: Tilapia Fish Farming.
Pond Construction for Murrel Fish Farming:
Attention should be given while constructing a pond. One should not stock Murrel fish heavily in the pond and stocking number always depends on the fish size. To retain the water and hold the Murrels, an earthen dyke should be built. The height of the dyke depends on the topography of the land. generally, the height of dyke should be between 50 to 100 cm. There needs to be a perimeter canal where the water comes out and cross trenches should be constructed on the opposite side. To remove the water during the desalination, the lower part of the trenches has to be placed above the perimeter canal.
Read this: Murrel Fish Farming Project Report.
The commercial Murrel breed culture is not common in India due to inadequate seed availability. However, The Murrel fish fingerlings are available in rivers, reservoirs, perennial tanks, and other water bodies. One can expect maximum seed availability in the month of May to Aug. The present market demand for Murrel fish seed is met by wild collections.
The Murrel fish allow for high density or overcrowding stocking due to the extra support of air-breathing organs. An average stocking of Murrel fingerlings can be from 20,000 to 25,000 per hectare. Usually, fishermen collect the Murrel fingerlings from natural resources and sell them to the culturists. If you are planning for Murrel fish farming, you can buy these Murrel fish fingerlings from local culturists or any government fisheries.
Drainage and Water Supply:
A feeder canal should be provided for allowing the water flow. A sluice gate also recommended and should fit on the wooden shutter @ 30 cm height of the plot. Another gate may be used in order to drain the water from the plot down to the feeder canal. This can be placed at the time of low tide for draining water and water exchange. In order to regulate water movement, wooden shutters should be placed @ the exit and entry points of the gate.
Read this: Biofloc Fish Farming Advantages.
Water Temperature Control:
For better growth of Murrel fish and to maximize feed conversion, pond water temperature should be controlled.
Harvesting of Fish:
The fish farmer can use the fishing nets to collect the fish from the pond when they gain at least 500 grams. In the case of mud Murrel, the size would be small.
In India, Most the people who eat fish like the Murrel due to its taste. Murrel fish market demand is very high and they are sold in open markets at 400 to 500 Rs per kg. In some seasons, may expect more cost. The big advantages of Murrel fish are they will be live for long on the ground compared to other fish.
In case if you are interested in this: Okra Growing Tips, Ideas, Secretes, and Techniques.
- Top 12 Best Herbicides in India: Guide to Buy Cheap Weed Killing Herbicides at Best Price
- Top 15 Best Fungicides in India: Guide to Buy Cheap Weed Killing Fungicides at Best Price
- 10 Best Garden Tillers in India For Seed Bed Preparation and Weed Control: Price List Included
- 10 Best Hand-Operated Seeding Machines in India: Price List for Top Seed Planters for Vegetables
- Krishi Vigyan Kendra Schemes (KVKs) and Training in India
- Varieties of Castor in India: Boost the Profit with High-yielding Hybrids of Castor
- Cooperative Societies in the Agricultural Sector in India: Benefits, Role, and Challenges
- 17 Gardening Mistakes to Avoid This Summer: For Vegetables, Flowers, Herbs, and Fruits
- Bahar Treatment in Pomegranate for High Quality and Yields: A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementation
- Mobile Veterinary Units in India: Implementation in States
- Moringa as Feed for Livestock: Moringa Fodder Crop Yield Per Acre
- National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM): Features, Schemes, and Benefits
- Management of Cutworms in Chilli: Prevention and Control With Organic, Chemical, Cultural Practices
- Best Fertilizer for Tinda: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Whitefly Management in Cotton Crop: Symptoms, Control, and Best Insecticides for Cotton
- Best Fertilizer for Terrace Plants: Covering Vegetables, Fruits, Flowers, and Herbs
- 12 Best Compost Bins for Home in India with Price: Cheap for Indoors, Outdoors, and Kitchens
- Grapes Training Systems and Methods: A Comparative Analysis
- Best Fertilizer Jamun Tree: Organic, Natural, Homemade, Npk Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Polyhalite Fertilizers and their Role in Organic Farming
- How to Identify Fake Seeds: Key Differences Between Real and Counterfeit Seeds
- Best Fertilizer for Indian Gooseberry/Amla: Organic, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Best Fertilizer for Bitter Gourd: Organic, Natural, Homemade, NPK Ratio, When and How to Apply
- Bangalore Method of Composting: Preparation Method, Benefits, and Disadvantages
- How to Check PM Kisan Status: Beneficiary Verification With Aadhaar Number and Mobile
- 15 Best Chaff Cutter Machines in India: For Dry, Green Fodder Cutting, and Price List Included
- Bermuda Grass Fertilizer Schedule: When and How to Apply in Winter, Summer, and Spring
- 20 Best Plants to Grow Under Oak Trees: Compatible Plants Under and Around Oaks
- Benefits of DAP Fertilizer: Price, Composition, How and When to Apply
- Profitable Thai Guava Farming in India: Yield, Profit Per Acre, Plant Price, 1 Acre Cost of Cultivation