Benefits and Guide for Murrel Fish Farming in India
Today, we discuss the topic of Murrel fish farming techniques, advantages.
Introduction of Murrel Fish Farming:
Murrel fish is one of the popular freshwater and tasty fish in India. Commercial farming of Murrel fish has significant importance in India. Murrels also cultured in the Philippines, Taiwan & Thailand. Murrel fish also called snakehead fish. Murrel fish belongs to the family of “Channidae”. Murrels have high demand and high market value in India. With good fish management practices, it has a huge potential for high returns.
Health Benefits of Murrel Fish:
Fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein. Some of the health benefits of fish consumption are given below.
- Regular fish consumption may prevent heart disease.
- Regular fish consumption may improve skin and hair.
- Regular fish consumption may reduce Alzheimer’s risk.
- Regular fish consumption may ease depression.
- Regular fish consumption may boost brain development & eye health.
- Regular fish consumption may reduce some types of cancer.
- Regular fish consumption may control diabetes.
In this article, let us discuss Murrel fish farming in the pond.
Local Names of Murrel Fish in India:
Murrai, (Hindi), Koramenu, Koramatta (Telugu), Viral meen (Tamil), Korava, Vatton (Malayalam), Cheng (Bengali), Maral (Marathi), Hal (Assamese), and Gadisha (Oriya).
Types in Murrel
There are 4 types of Murrels cultivated in India (especially in Andhra Pradesh).
Land Selection in Murrel Fish Farming:- Land selection in Murrel fish farming must be a number one priority and it should meet 2 standards. The pond should be positioned above the plain and should possess good quality water. As part of land or pond preparation, metabolic waste should be removed.
Read about: Tilapia Fish Farming.
Pond Construction for Murrel Fish Farming:
Attention should be given while constructing a pond. One should not stock Murrel fish heavily in the pond and stocking number always depends on the fish size. To retain the water and hold the Murrels, an earthen dyke should be built. The height of the dyke depends on the topography of the land. generally, the height of dyke should be between 50 to 100 cm. There needs to be a perimeter canal where the water comes out and cross trenches should be constructed on the opposite side. To remove the water during the desalination, the lower part of the trenches has to be placed above the perimeter canal.
Read this: Murrel Fish Farming Project Report.
The commercial Murrel breed culture is not common in India due to inadequate seed availability. However, The Murrel fish fingerlings are available in rivers, reservoirs, perennial tanks, and other water bodies. One can expect maximum seed availability in the month of May to Aug. The present market demand for Murrel fish seed is met by wild collections.
The Murrel fish allow for high density or overcrowding stocking due to the extra support of air-breathing organs. An average stocking of Murrel fingerlings can be from 20,000 to 25,000 per hectare. Usually, fishermen collect the Murrel fingerlings from natural resources and sell them to the culturists. If you are planning for Murrel fish farming, you can buy these Murrel fish fingerlings from local culturists or any government fisheries.
Drainage and Water Supply:
A feeder canal should be provided for allowing the water flow. A sluice gate also recommended and should fit on the wooden shutter @ 30 cm height of the plot. Another gate may be used in order to drain the water from the plot down to the feeder canal. This can be placed at the time of low tide for draining water and water exchange. In order to regulate water movement, wooden shutters should be placed @ the exit and entry points of the gate.
Read this: Biofloc Fish Farming Advantages.
Water Temperature Control:
For better growth of Murrel fish and to maximize feed conversion, pond water temperature should be controlled.
Harvesting of Fish:
The fish farmer can use the fishing nets to collect the fish from the pond when they gain at least 500 grams. In the case of mud Murrel, the size would be small.
In India, Most the people who eat fish like the Murrel due to its taste. Murrel fish market demand is very high and they are sold in open markets at 400 to 500 Rs per kg. In some seasons, may expect more cost. The big advantages of Murrel fish are they will be live for long on the ground compared to other fish.
In case if you are interested in this: Okra Growing Tips, Ideas, Secretes, and Techniques.
- Guide to Lotus Cultivation: How to Propagate, Plant, Grow, Care, Cost, and Profit
- Agriculture Drone Subsidy Scheme: Government Kisan Subsidy, License, and How to Apply Online
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Araucana Chickens: Breed Profile, Farming Economics, Diet, and Care
- Bringing Hydroponics to Classroom: Importance, Benefits of Learning for School Students
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Polish Chickens: Breed Profile, Farming Economics, Diet, and Care
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Australorp Chickens: Profile, Farming Economics, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Silkie Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet, and Care
- Sussex Chicken Farming: Raising Practices, Varieties, Egg Production, Diet and Care
- Homemade Feed Formulations for Livestock: Discover Cost-effective Starter to Finisher Feed Recipes
- 20 Best Pig Weight Gain Supplements: Top Swine Weight Gain Formulas
- Ultimate Guide to Elderberry Farming: Propagation, Planting, Yield, Cost, and Profit
- 100% Effective Strategies for Combating Pests and Diseases in Hibiscus: Prevent and Treat Successfully
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Mums: Ultimate Guide to Protecting Mums
- Management of Pests and Diseases in Home Garden: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Essential Guide to Disease Management for Backyard Poultry Owners
- How to Raise Wyandotte Chickens: A Profitable Wyandotte Farming for Beginners
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Brahma Chickens: Care, Feeding, Egg Production, and Breeding
- Ultimate Guide to Raising Leghorn Chickens: Feeding, Breeding, Egg Production, and Care
- Rabbit Disease Management: 100% Effective Control and Treatment Strategies
- Bolting Management in Plants: Prevention for Premature Flowers and Seeding in Crops and Vegetables
- How to Manage Pests and Diseases in Berry Orchards: A Comprehensive Guide
- Top 20 Goat and Sheep Weight Gain Supplements: Best Sheep and Goat Weight Gain Formulas
- Apple Scab Management: Disease Cycle, Spray Schedule, Fungicides, Control and Prevention Strategies
- Beetle Management in Plants: Control and Prevention Strategies
- Mini Highland Cattle Farming: Exploring Raising Miniature Cattles with Cost and Profit
- Problems of Indian Agriculture: Problems Faced by Indian Farmers
- How to Raise Buff Orpington Chickens: Guide for Egg Laying, Breeding, and Care
- How to Raise Dexter Cattle: Breeding for Beef and Milk, Pros and Cons, Weight Chart, and Cost
- Tomato Hornworm Management: Overview, Control, Prevent Five-spotted Hawk Moth
- Citrus Fertilizer Management: Nutrient Requirements and Application Schedule