Plant Nursery Starting For Beginners:
Introduction to Plant Nursery: A nursery is a portion of agriculture where plants are propagated, nurtured, grown, and sold out to the home garden or commercial purpose. Under favorable conditions, improved quality seedlings are grown until they are prepared for planting on a small scale or in big scale. Young plants which are propagated in nurseries can be sold in retail nurseries or as wholesale nurseries. The sole purpose of all nurseries is to provide young plants or saplings to gardens, farms, agriculture, forestry, and for conservation.
A nursery plant center offers its customers all types of young plants that are local (native), imported and exotic. A nursery customer could be a home gardener, landscape gardener, or even a commercial farmer. A nursery business must cater to a wide range of plants that will be indoor to outdoor plants and container to earth planting plants. Nurseries must be equipped with all kinds of horticulture requirements such as all sorts of plant seeds, soil mix, fertilizers, insecticides, garden chemicals, garden tools, and be able to answer backyard inquiries. Apart from plants, the nurseries have to have the ability to assist in all kinds of inquiries and purchases.
Nurseries can be started irrespective of where you’re located but with sufficient land space to grow plants. Nursery business can be initiated from the backyard, in open plots, in greenhouses, or in agriculture lands. To begin business one must have a clear understanding of what kind of plant species to develop. Usually, nurseries that are located in urban regions could prefer growing flowering plants, decorative plants, vegetable plants and ornamental trees. You have to identify the market need and accordingly must disperse plants in the nurseries. Most of the business is highly seasonal, so prepare with saplings stock early that marketing could be done when the season sets in. Some create a bulk stock of particular varieties either by seedlings, grafting, or cutting timber trees for forestry, fruit trees for orchards, or edible plants for cultivation.
Nursery location may be predetermined based on price investment, availability of this house. If sufficient space is available in your backyard, it’s the right place to begin nursery business if you are a beginner. An open area is all it requires to start a plant nursery. Location of nursery must be close to significant cities and townships, transportation, availability of work, and convenient for future expansion. Nursery site location has to be nutrient-rich or medium soil with good water resource. Nursery site should have good soil drainage and free from soil pathogens.
Plant Nursery Business Basic Inputs
Containers: Nurseries must have ample resources to grow seedlings and plants.
Plant Nursery Soil Media: For successful germination of seeds and plant growth proper soil mix must be ready and maintained in the nursery. Seedlings must have great medium for rooting, nutrient supply, and firm to hold the seedling. The nursery must have sufficient stock of sand, red or black soil, sphagnum mass, peat moss, vermiculite, compost, sawdust, and farmyard manure. The soil is the most important ingredient in the nursery business and must be available at low pricing. To make the soil more economical it is suggested to prepare growth medium with pH range 5.5 to 6.5 inside nursery site.
Plant Nursery Chemicals and Fertilizers: Plants and seedlings are prone to many diseases and insect attacks — pesticides, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides and growth regulators have to be administered for infestation. For proper and healthy development, organic manures and chemical fertilizers are given for nutrient supply.
Adequate tools will help guarantee work moves smoothly, while properly designed tools will minimize soil and cause harm.
Plant Nursery Machinery and Equipment: For a speedy operation of nursery and cutting downtime and cost-effectively, ensure appropriate types of machinery and equipment are available in the nursery. Nursery operations such as potting media filling, container filling, transporting, watering for a large nursery on a daily is dependent upon vehicles and automated machines for speedy work efficiency and for good plant development.
Plant Nursery Manpower: Nurseries are filled with labor-intensive activities such as pruning, weeding, irrigating, applying pesticides, planting, etc. The nursery should have availability of skilled and experienced labor as full-time or part-time. This ensures appropriate maintenance and seedling production in the nursery.
Some of the timely scheduled nursery activities That Have to Be planned are as follows:
- Seeds have to be pulled without damage from a fully matured fruit for seed harvesting.
- Sowing of seeds in seedbeds or germination trays activity must be done in the trendy part of the day either early morning or in the evening.
- Young saplings must be moved to containers or polybag baskets for marketing has to be done in the right transplanting stage.
- Maintaining mum plants for seasonal propagation is an important nursery management activity.
- Trained and experienced labor is an asset and their activities will guarantee speedy work with powerful plant development.
- Timely application of fertilizers, chemicals, water, etc., will decrease the production cost.
- According to plant species, sowing, transplanting, and distribution activities have to be scheduled. As every species has its own period of expansion establishment.
Nurseries cannot be classified as Kinds of nurseries as most of the nurseries have a combination of various nurseries as mentioned below:
- 1. Temporary Nurseries: In this type, the nursery is maintained to supply nursery stock for a limited period after which the stock is substituted with a different stock. The nursery is developed only to provide a particular requirement for a particular season. Sometimes particular stock is designed for a targeted stock or for a particular supply contract. A temporary nursery can also be known as for your own business that supplies nursery stock at a particular location and abandoned or closes once the business is done or stock gets exhausted or moved to a new location. The stocks consistently remain for a temporary or limited period. For example Gladiolus, Amaranthus, Chrysanthemum, tomato, bean, etc., are produced for summer time and production is stopped when fresh period sets in.
- Permanent Nurseries: Supply of plant nursery stock and services continues a year long. The nurseries are relatively larger in extend region having permanent structures and features. The plant stock is produced continuously having permanent mom plants for propagation. The permanent nursery might include vegetables, flowers, and fruits toddlers supplying plants during the year either as a retail or wholesale supplier.
- Forest Nurseries: This nursery propagates and grows the stock of forest trees and shrubs, utilized to distribute trees for forest improvement, landscaping, or woods farms for timber distribution. The nursery supplies plants that are infrequent, herbal, and medicinal with excellent economic value. In this nursery, the plants can be divided into sections for distribution to advertising such as decorative plants, industrial trees, and tree species. A number of the typical plants that stocks in this nursery include, teak, eucalyptus, rubberized, sandalwood, pine, oak, etc..
- Vegetable Nurseries: Many men and women prefer to go for organic vegetables on their kitchen table. Most veggies in the market are adulterated with chemicals. Most homes have backyard or kitchen gardens to provide couple veggies on a daily basis. Vegetable nurseries thrive in good demand as home gardeners love to own vegetables growing in their houses. Some vegetable crops are seasonal, annuals, and perennials. Many nurseries stock all types of improved variety vegetable seeds.
- Fruit Nurseries: This type of nurseries grow wide varieties and forms of fruit trees for home and commercial planting. The nursery keeps stock of common species in addition to unique fruit plants. Since fruit trees could be planted any time of year excluding intense climate days, a few fruit crops can be planted even in containers, so these plants can also be in demand year long.
- Flower Plant Nurseries: As the name implies the nursery stocks flowering plants to sell. Most home gardeners enjoy their backyard by never missing flowering plants in it. Flowers remain most profitable and market demanding plants. Most nursery growers try to create plants which are rare and which are not native to the local regions. Flower nursery can also be divided into sections like ornamental flower plants and aromatic flower plants. Flower nurseries have a continuous stock of young saplings as well as different flower seeds.
Types of Plant Nursery Businesses
At the nursery, seedlings and grafts are produced by which fruit orchards, vegetable gardens, and ornamental gardens could be established with minimum maintenance, price, and care. Nursery business can be done and is profitable as there is a consistent demand for crops for home and public gardens, highways, and gated housing societies. Nurseries are broadly classified as a retail nursery, Landscape, and commercial nursery.
- Retail Plant Nursery: They do business by selling to individuals who grow plants for their home indoor and outdoor gardens. Plants are grown on limited acreage purely for retail sales.
- Landscape Plant Nursery: they’ve experienced horticultural services for landscape and outdoor gardening activity. In their retail outlet, they create plants for their own in-house landscape jobs by designing, installing and maintain.
- Commercial Plant Nursery: This type plant nursery having an extended area for growing, grafting, and transplanting stocks by selling in massive batches at significantly lower prices to commercial farmers, government agencies such as re-vegetation, parks, and environmental landscaping, private estates, and also to other smallish nurseries.
- Mail Order Nursery: In this type of plant nursery business, the crops have been sold directly to customers regardless of how far the purchase comes from. This business strives on shipping plants directly to customers rather sold via a retail outlet. The nursery anglers create high-value ornamental and specialty crops to garden lovers spread across worldwide. In this business, you don’t have to produce more species but may have a couple of rare species that may be garden unique. Small as well as large plants which are highly beneficial are properly packed and shipped by the nurseries.
Skills Required for Plant Nursery Business
- Be able to understand plant needs and plant development. It may be about fertilization, irrigation, cutting schedules, growing schedules, and temperature control.
- Knowledge on insects and diseases and how to manage.
- Mechanical skills — irrigation methods, plumbing, greenhouse ventilation, and general understanding in soil mixing.
- Marketing both wholesale and retail skills are essential.
- Administrative skills.
- Above all must communicate, able to tackle customers all inquiries.
To start a plant nursery requires a huge investment which excludes land purchase. Expenses might include onetime investment on resources and greenhouse structure, while some costs can be on daily basis, weekly basis, or on the yearly basis which includes plant materials, supplies, soil grow media, cold storage, irrigation method, trade licenses, insurance, and inspections.
Plant nursery grower must be able to deal with the ups and downs in earnings and income generation in the initial years. It requires completely one or two decades for nursery to establish for routine income and profits. The grower must realize that nursery is associated with seasonal earnings, so he must be ready to create substantial investments in ancient years prior to expecting positive returns.
Plant Nursery Business Marketing
The nursery business can be to a great degree competitive. To stand the competition in the current market, the nursery has to effectively showcase its services. Appropriate advertising in the regional papers, door to door campaigning, nearby flower shops, offices and markets that sell flowers, wedding organizers, and neighborhood organizations are normally where you market your plants. One cannot simply wait till people to come to know that you are a good plant grower having different stock of plant species but you need to make yourself known at each potential marketplace zone.
- Check the concerned authorities near the nursery site location for a business license, insurance, construction permits, if any government inspections, and water availability on the nursery site.
- Explore your potential marketplace. What crops to grow or you will grow quantity, and therefore are that they produced as container grown, bare root, or root-balled plant saplings. Prepare early your advertising foundation.
- Select a suitable site for starting your nursery may be long leased or own.
- Research raw material suppliers for its competitive price such as seeds, soil, chemicals, fertilizers, containers, etc..
- Research on plant species that you going to develop.
- After gathering required information prepare a business plan and start the plant nursery business.