Introduction To Quail Farming Business Plan
Today, let us get into “Quail Farming Business Plan“.
Quail are the birds that are commercially reared for eggs and meat. The commercial farming has increased its demand day by day, as the investment and maintenance are very less compared to any other livestock farming. Quails are highly nutritious than the poultry eggs. Japan was the initiator of this commercial quail farming business and from there it spread around the world, Japan quails are the very famous.
The quails are reared along with other birds, which is the main advantage of the quail farming. In the countries with a huge population, there will be a high requirement for meat. So, there will be a good business for quail farming in Asian countries.
Quail farming is very profitable like chicken, turkey or duck farming business. Quail farming can be done all types of weather conditions. Meat and eggs are highly nutritious and very tasty. Quail eggs are rich in protein, phosphorus, iron, vitamin A, B1 and B2.
Advantages of Quail Farming:
The are many advantages and benefits in Quail Farming.
- Low space requirement.
- Low Investment cost and labor cost.
- Infrastructure costs very less.
- The quails will get ready for marketing within in 5 weeks.
- The quails lay eggs from the age of 6 weeks. They lay approximately 300 eggs per year.
- Commercial quail farming has a high success rate in Asian countries.
- The Quail eggs are very healthy and highly nutritious. They have lower Cholesterol levels.
- Meat of quails increases the body metabolism and brain functioning in children.
- It is the best nutritious food for pregnant and nursing mothers. It controls the blood pressure.
Read: Quail Farming Project Report.
All About Quail Birds:
- Quails are very small in size, they weigh about 200 to 250 grams.
- Quails eggs weigh about 10 to 13 grams.
- They start laying eggs within 6 to 7 weeks of age.
- They lay one egg per day. And in the first year they lay about 300 to 320 eggs. And capacity may reduce gradually.
- They lay multi colored eggs.
- Quails don’t incubate on their own. For hatching quail eggs need, incubator or brooder chickens. Incubation
- Quails are highly resistant to diseases and other health issues.
- Lifetime of quail is about 3 to 4 years. An adult quail weighs 150 to 200 grams. A newly born quail weighs about 6 grams – 7 grams. Female quails lay eggs from 6 to 7 weeks of age.
- Quail eggs are very beautiful, good source of light increase the egg productive rate in quails. Quails lay eggs only in the afternoon.
- Quail never incubates their eggs. For commercial breeding purpose you need one male quail for five female quails. Newly born quail chick, it will be very sensitive, and it takes more than two weeks to become strong.
A quail chick weights around 6 to 7 grams when it is born. Quail chicks will be very sensitive, it takes 2 to 3 weeks for them to get strong.
Preparation of Quail Farming Business Plan:
The business plan for quail farming includes investment, breeds, house, feed management, care, and marketing strategies. In Commercial quail farming quails are reared for eggs and meat. For a successful business, it is recommended to start with some basic training. Make a complete study about their characteristics, breeding systems, feed requirements, health management, and marketing strategies.
The next step is to form a quail farming business plan. A perfect business plan is necessary, even it’s a small start out. The business plan will help is find all the basic and crucial elements required for business and will direct to implement business steps in a successful way.
The quail farming business plan includes: Step by step procedure to setup a quail farming unit:
- Land Requirement: first step is to decide, where to start the farming unit, it can be home, farming lands or rental premises. Approximately you can raise about 6 to 8 quails within 0.91 square meter area, depending on the no of quails your planning raise, acquire the land as per the requirement. If planning to increase the no of quails in future, acquire more land.
- Financial Support: Investment Required of Quail Farming: Once you decide the place, next is a financial resource. Many authorized banks are offering loans for quail farming.
- Breed Selection: Now select the quail breeds: for quail farming you need to select a quail breed for farming, there are more than 100 species are available that give profitable business. Some varieties are suitable for egg production and some are suitable for meat production. Quails are categorized into two types broilers and layers.
Some popular Layer Quail varieties:
These layer breeds lay 200 to 300 eggs per season.
- British Range
- English white
- Manchurian Golden
- Coturnix Quail
Some popular Broiler Quail Varieties:
These broiler breeds weights up to 120 to 160 grams.
- Bob White
- White Breasted
Housing Management In Quail Farming:
An efficient and proper housing management is very important in rearing quails. Housing is very important for quail farming.
Below are some necessary tips that should be considered in setting up the house for quails.
- There are two types of housing systems to rear quails. They are litter and cage systems. Both systems are used in commercial quail farming, but the best method cage system. When compared deep litter system, cage system is easy manageable and spread of pests and diseases is very low.
- The House should be built with good ventilation, the house should get a good amount of light, and should have proper air flow.
- The dimensions of the house depend on the number quails you are planning to raise, for example A cage with dimension 12 cm x 60cm x 25cm can accommodate 50 to 60 quails. Plastic
- For constructing cage use wire net for making their cages. Net dimensions should be 5mm X 5mm. Plastic cages are recommended.
- Make sure house should be safe from predators and wild animals.
Quails Housing Systems:
Deep Litter System:
This system occupies very less space, and in 1 square feet of space you can rear 5 to 6 birds for 2 to 3 weeks then shifted to cage system. In deep litter system, avoid unnecessary wandering to develop body weight.
It is most recommended quail rearing systems, each unit should about 6 feet length and 1 foot width which is subdivided into 6-sub units. If you are running out of space, arrange then 5 tiers high. The bottom of the cage should be fixed with removable wooden plate, so that you can clean bird droppings easily. And the cages should get a good amount of light and air. And the regular feed can be given through the narrow feed troughs place in front of the cages and water troughs are placed at the back side of the cages.
The size of the cage: 3 ft x 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft can accommodate about 100 quails from 2 to 4 weeks.
4 ft x 2.5 ft x 1.5 ft can accommodate about 50 quails from 3 to 6 weeks.
Read: Fish Farming FAQ.
Feed Management in Quail Farming:
The feeding materials for quails are tiny pieces of broken wheat, kipper fish, rice bran, sesame cake, broken oyster shell, etc. In quail farming, feed management is very important, they need a well balanced diet. A well-balanced diet guarantees healthy and productive birds which results in expected profits. The Feeding cost for quails is very less, as they don’t consume much food. An adult quail bird consumes 30 -35 grams food daily. A quail chick feed should have 25 to 27% protein, and an adult quail feed should contain 22-24 % proteins. Poultry feed producing companies are producing commercial feeds for quails, these commercial feeds have all necessary proteins in a exact quantity, which makes you feeding job easy. Along with well-balanced and nutritious feed, provide clean and fresh water.
Breeding process of Quails:
In successful breeding process, the ration of male and female quails should be proper. A successful breeding ration is 5:1. And you also need to buy an incubator for hatching eggs, as quails don’t hatch their eggs.
Health Management of Quails:
Health and disease management in quails are very easy. Quails disease resistant birds, health problems are also very less in quails. Good food, water, sanitation and proper management keep quails healthy.
Marketing Procedure for Quail birds:
Promoting your business is highly important. In the early stages you need to gain some clients. You should take some necessary steps to promote both eggs and meat. The breed of quail you is specializing will also show a great impact.
There are many ways to market your business. Some options to promote the business are:
- Start a website, but this can be best when your business is starting to grow. For the first few months, you should focus on promoting in your local market. This can be a good option that gives you necessary funds that can be used to expand your business.
- You can market yourself quails by distributing your business cards in your family, business, friends and customers.
- Another best marketing method is to publish an advertisement in your local newspaper. Posters and flyers also work as a good method.
Licensing Requirement for Quail Farming
Before starting a commercial quail farming business, you must get a government license as quails are protected species.
Department of Animal Husbandry (DAH), Dairy and Fisheries will issue the license. There is a certain procedure to get a license for quail farming. You can contact local Animal Husbandry department for complete details.
The quail farming is a lucrative business opportunity for the people who are interested in poultry. Quail eggs have many benefits when consumes and the meat is also a healthy alternative to several other types of meat. By starting a quail farming business, you will be able to get huge profits on your investment due to lower maintenance cost and labor requirements.
Read: Prawn Cultivation.