Vaccination in Broilers and Disease Control:-
Prevention and Control of disease in poultry farming:- In poultry industry primarily emphasis is given more on prevention and control than curative measures.
- Make sure to start with disease free stock.
- Should Vaccine chicks against Ranikhet & Merek’s disease at Hatchery.
- Should use coccidiostal to prevent coccidiosis.
- Should Keep feed free from aflatoxins.
- Do not allow visitors or outsiders and attendants inside the poultry house unless they wear disinfected boots and clean clothing.
- Should cover floor with clean litter with 3 inch depth.
- All-in-one system of rearing chicks should be followed to ensure less disease problems.
- Must provide foot bath provision at the shed entrance.
- Must provide clean and fresh water daily.
1) Ranikhet / New Castle Disease and Symptoms: Below are the symptoms of the disease.
- Affects all the birds of the farm.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Nasal discharge.
- Greenish diarrhea.
- 90-100% mortality.
Prevention measures: Should give early vaccination with F1 followed by R B vaccines.
2) Marek’s Disease and Symptoms:
- Affects all the birds in the farm.
- Droopy wings, lameness, paralysis.
- Should expect 60 – 75% mortality of birds.
Preventive measures: No treatment, only early vaccination will help.
B) Bacterial Diseases:
a) Salmonellisis and Symptoms:
- Chalky white diarrhoea.
- Sudden death.
- Pasted vent.
- Affects all age groups.
- Depression and loss of weight.
How to Treat?
- Should Use effective antibiotic (Better to contact nearest veterinary centre).
- Recovered chicks act as a source of disease and thus better to cull.
b) Colybacillosis and Symptoms:
- Affects all age groups.
- Swelling of joints
- Oedematous comb and wattle.
- Expect mortality rate up to 90%.
Treatment: Antimicrobials (Should contact nearest veterinary centre).
C) Fungal Diseases-
a) Brooder pneumonia / aspergillosis and Symptoms:
- Affects chicks.
- High mortality.
- Respiratory problem.
- Swollen eye and head.
How to prevent it?. Use antifungal (Can contact nearest veterinary centre).
D) Helminthic Diseases and Symptoms:
- This disease affects mostly layer birds.
- Causes in poor body growth.
- Ruffled feather.
- Causes diarrhea.
Treatment to prevent: Should use anthelmintic every 8 weeks (Should contact nearest veterinary centre)
E) Protozoan Diseases:-
a) Coccidiosis & Symptoms:
- It causes bloody diarrhea.
- It causes high mortality rate.
1) Proper management is necessary.
2) Should use anticoccidiosis ( should contact nearest veterinary centre).
Vaccination in Broilers :-
|Disease type||Age of birds|
|Marek’s||1st day (generally given in hatchery) 0.2ml s/c|
|Ranikhet||5 day (f-strain)|
|Gumboro / IBD||7 to 9 days|
|Gumboro / IBD||16 to 18 days (Booster dose|
|Ranikhet||30 days (f-strain)|