Wallago Attu fish farming in India
Wallago Attu fish is a fast-growing catfish species which has good demand as a food fish as having high nutritional value. It is also popular as a sport fish and recently has made its entry in ornamental fish markets.
This fish is also known by some other names like Boal, wallago, wallagonia attu, borali, etc.
Wallago Attu is widely distributed in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia.
Description of the species:
The elongated fish body is laterally compressed. Eyes are small and mouth wide, its gape extends posteriorly to beyond eyes. Barbels are generally two pairs; among them, maxillary pair is long and extend posteriorly to well beyond the origin of the anal fin and the mandibular pair is much shorter, about as long as snout. The dorsal fin is short and pectoral spine is weak. Fish body-color greyish or yellowish-grey in above and whitish in below but the fins grey.
Approximately, the maximum length of the fish is about 1.86 meter. The species could attain 20 cm in total length and weight more than 45 kg.
This fish is not deemed appropriate for aquarium keeping due to its size and its feeding needs for live fish.
- Japanese Garden Design, Elements, Plants, History, Facts
- Deep Litter Chickens Guide for Beginners
- Sheep Farming In Telangana For Beginners
- Dairy Buffalo Project Report for 10 Animals
- Gir Cow Milk Per Day, Gir Cow Price, Gir Cow Facts
- Growing Cucumbers In Containers Information
- Plant Tissue Culture Questions & Answers
- Post Harvest Techniques for Fruits; Vegetables
- Organic Fertilizer Production Project Report, Cost, Profits
- Beekeeping Training Centers; Institutes in India
You may be interested in Hilsa Fish Farming in India.
The rainy season is the breeding period of Wallago Attu fish. They generally lay eggs in July to August. They lay eggs in both bound and open water reservoir.
Wallago Attu can inhabit both lentic and lotic environment; used to occur in rivers, lakes, reservoirs, floodplains, tanks, haors and jheels. It has often found in tidal influence.
Wallago Attu inhabit fast running as well as sluggish water of deep and shallow pools, haors, rivers, and streams of Bangladesh. Wallago Attu is voracious, carnivorous and predatory; it cannot be stocked in the pond with other fishes. It is also known as the freshwater shark an account of its vicious biting and feeding habits.
You may be interested in the Sheep Farming Business Plan for Maximum Profits.
- Vanilla Cultivation Information Guide
- Anthurium Cultivation in Greenhouse, Project Report
- Gokshura Farming, Cultivation Practices, Planting Guide
- Panchagavya Preparation, Benefits, Uses in Agriculture
- Bannur Sheep Breed Profile Information
- Loquat Fruit Farming Information Guide
- How To Grow Coriander On Terrace (Dhaniya)
- Growing Squash In Containers Information
- Organic Food Cultivation; Farming Methods
- Tellicherry Goat Profile Info Guide
This Wallago Attu fish is a commercially important species and an important food fish in Bangladesh. Good price in the market throughout the year.
Wallago Attu fish farming:
The Wallago Attu fish farming business can be commercially very important. Because its price and demand both are very high in the Asian market.
Pond Construction and Size:
You have to construct a pond after selecting a good site. The size of the pond can be any depending on available land. But for commercial production, a pond with at least one-acre land will be very good. Natural ponds are considered good for Wallago Attu fish farming business.
The Wallago Attu fish are fed on external feeds, so you don’t have to worry much about preparing the pond. Just sterilizing the selected pond and filling it with water will be good.
Collect the seeds either from natural sources or from hatcheries. Contact with nearest fisheries institute for more information about the seed availability.
Rearing the Fingerlings:
Generally, the Wallago Attu fish fingerlings are stocked directly into the main pond. So you don’t have to worry much about rearing the fingerlings.
Stocking in the Main Pond:
You can stock the fish fingerlings directly into the main pond. Stocking density could be 15,000 to 25,000 fingerlings per acre.
- Vegetative Propagation Types Information
- RAS Farming Project Report, Economics, Business Plan
- Strawberry Farming Project Report, Cost, Profit Guide
- Sorrel Leaves Farming Information Guide
- Panchagavya Preparation and Its Importance
- Tea Powder Making Process From Green Tea Leaves
- Orpington Chicken Facts, Profile, Characteristics
- Cattle Farming, Breeds Information For Beginners
- Bamboo Rice Farming, Cultivation Practices
- Sheep Farming In Maharashtra for Beginners
Wallago Attu fish is very cormorant and carnivorous. They eat several types of small fish and animal from water. Baby Wallago Attu fishes eat various types of tiny fish and insects. Wallago Attu fish generally eat feed at night. They eat the rotten body of a dead animal. Due to its carnivorous and predacious nature, they are called as a freshwater shark.
Don’t miss to check Growing Agakara from Seed.