A Process Guide For How to Get Organic Farm Certificate in India
Well, here we are presenting the process for “How to Get Organic Farm Certificate in India”.
In India, organic farming is a traditional method of agriculture without the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides with an environmentally socially responsible approach. As per the available statistics, India’s rank in terms of World’s Organic Agricultural land was 9th and in terms of a total number of producers was 1st as per 2018 data (Source: FIBL & IFOAM Year Book 2018). Nowadays, the business of organic farming is growing.
Many people are now more organized with their Organic farm and they are registering their organic farm business with the National Program for Organic Production (NPOP). In India Agricultural and processed food products, export development (APEDA) regulates NPOP. NPOP Set some standard for the organic farm so the quality of the product will increase. If you want to get a certificate of Organic Farm in India, then you have to meet with the principle standards of NPOP.
Principle of standards of organic farming
The National Program for Organic Production (NPOP) sets some Principle of standards for certification. Here are some standards are given below.
- There should be natural farming, all inputs should be natural to the farm
- For Organic farming, you have to do a conversion of land
- The integrity of all processes (physical, biological, mechanical) must be maintained at all times.
- You have to follow sustainable practices
- You have to handle soil and water resources in a sustainable manner
- It should contribute beneficially to the Ecosystems
- In the case of forest farming, you have to carry similar procedure of organic farm cultivation
- No contamination from nearby farms
- No other means must be present
Process of Certification
Once you have matched with the standard principle of NPOP, you can apply for certification. The procedure of certification is simple and easy. You have to mention some information in your application. Following information required during the filing of the application
- You have to mention your organic production or handling system plan
- You have to mention your personal details like name, addresses, details of the contact person, telephone number, etc.
- You have to mention your professional details
- The names of the organic certification body to which application is previously made
- Prescribed registration fee, one-time inspection fee, one time, travel cost should be paid by the operator along with the form
- Any other information if required, then you have to comply
There are some accredited bodies which are governed by APEDA, they certify Organic farming. The process of certification is simple; firstly you have matched with above-given principle standards of NPOP. Here the procedure is given below
- You have to submit your application to the accredited organic certification body
- The certification body will provide your standards and operation documents
- You have to enter into an agreement with the certification body for roles and commitments between the farmer and the certification body
- Then you have to submit your fees to the accredited body
- Then the document will be audited
- After submission of application, the certification body will review it
- In the case of rejection, the application will return to you with reasons for rejection
- In the case of acceptance of an application, inspection will be scheduled
- They will give you time for inspection so you can match with above-given principle standards
- All inspections must be done by an external inspector, they will inspect your land, facilities, and activities.
- You have to comply with the inspection and verification of documents
- Then the field inspector will prepare a report of the inspection
- The certification body will review the report of an inspection
- After successful compliance, you will get your certificate
Summary of Inspection
During the process of certification, inspection is most important, you have to take care of this, here is a summary of the inspection
- You will get time for an inspection, so you can match with above given principal standards of NPOP. It is very important to comply with Principal standards, without this inspection will be failed.
- An external Inspector will come and inspect your fields.
- He will inspect your field, your land, facilities, and activities.
- He will review records and accounts
- He will calculate your inputs and output norm
- He will prepare a production estimate from a farm
- He will assess your production system
- He will ask you some question regarding your farms
- He will assess risk from neighboring farms
- He will inspect of use of off-farm inputs
- Analysis of residue tests by certified laboratories for pesticides, heavy metals if required
- Inspection of sustainable practices
Benefits of Certificate
You will get many benefits after obtaining a certificate. You will get the loan from the National Bank for Agriculture and Development Act (NABARD). You can easily export your products from India to other countries. The government will give you subsidies in many schemes. And you will become eligible for all government schemes after obtaining this Certificate.
Udyog Aadhar is the 12 digit unique numbers which are issued by the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME). Udyog Aadhar replaced the process of registration for Micro and Small business. If you are running a business of Organic farming then you should register under Udyog Aadhar because after obtaining Udyog You will get many benefits from the government, you will get a loan from the bank at low-interest rates. You will also get subsidies from the government. You can export your products easily. Udyog Aadhar is legal proof of your business.
Process of Registration under Udyog Aadhar is simple, and completely online. You can file your Udyog Aadhar memorandum online which requires no documentation. You have to fill some personal and professional details like name, address, place of business, etc. after successful submission of Memorandum you will get your Udyog Aadhar.
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an authority which monitors and governs the food business in India. If you are running a business of organic farming then you should register under FSSAI because it is required by FSSAI that every operator involved in manufacturing, storage, sales, distribution required to register under FSSAI. In the case of failure of registration, you may be liable to pay fines for this. If you want to access your farming business to the market, you should register under FSSAI. If you want to register under FSSAI then you have to apply online. You have to submit some documents like identity proof, business proof, place of business, etc. after successful submission you will get 14 digit face numbers.
All said and done, if you are running a business of organic farming or want to start a business of organic farming then you should comply with the rules and regulation of APEDA. APEDA regulates the body of NPOP which set the standards of Organic Farming; everyone has to comply with NPOP standards. Certification from an accredited body is mandatory for organic farming and after obtaining certification, you have to renew this in every 3 years. After obtaining certificates like Udyog Aadhar and FSSAI you will get many benefits from the governments. So you should register your organic farming business with above-given authorities.
You may be interested in Growing Pearl Millet.