Guide for radish cultivation income, cost, profit, project report
Well, are you thinking of planting Radishes on commercial scale? here is is the complete guide for Radish cultivation income and cost of cultivation.
Radish – ‘Raphanus sativus’ and a member of Brassica family. It grows very quicklyand can be planted multiple times in growing seasons both spring and fall, it’s better to suspend the growth at high temperatures as these conditions may cause radishes to bolt. Whereas the leaves and the tuber are used as vegetable, which have many medicinal and nutritious values.
Radish crops can be easily planted/grown as an intercrop or companion crop as well. In India Radish cultivation is seen from ancient times and popular among Egyptians and Greeks, actually originated from China. What are we waiting for let us see the radish cultivation income and other economics.
Radish varieties and their characteristics in India
Pusa Desi:It grows well in subtropical regions especially in Northern plains, and can be sown in middle of August to October. It is white in colour, and matures in 50-55 days after sowing.
Pusa Chetki:Can grow well at higher temperatures hence it can be grown during March to August. It grows medium long and can be grown in southern and western parts of India. It is slightly pungent and matures within 40-45 days. It can be grown year along.
Pusa Reshmi:It can be sownduring mid-September to mid-November; it can tolerate slightly high temperature. Can be harvested in between 55-60 days.
Japanese White:These are cylindrical in shape, pure white in color, can be grown in October- December in plains and July-September in the hills where the crop matures in 60-65 days.
Arka Nishant:Famously called as Chinese pink roots, and matures in 50-55 days.
Pusa Himani:Can be sown from December-February. These are sweet flavoured, pure white in color, and the only variety that can be sown in any months of the year especially grown in hills except in winter months November-January.
White Icicle:mid-October to February are the suitable months for sowing. The skin is pure white, sweet flavoured, can be grown in kitchen garden.
Rapid Red White Tipped:This is a rare one with smooth, small, round, red with white tip and can be sown from mid- October to February.
You should not miss the Cabbage Cultivation Income.
Planting techniques and procedure
Choose the variety- In India; there are two varieties in Radish
a) Asiatic Variety: can be grown in tropical areas only.
b) European or Exotic Variety: can be grown in both tropical and sub-tropical areas.
Radish seeds of about 8 to 10 kg is required for one hectare and can be sown from July to January and germinates within 5 to 8 days depending upon the moisture level. Seeds are sown normal spacing of 15X10 cm. If the seeds are pretreated with 10-15 ppm of NAA before sowing, it showed better results for germination of Radish seeds.
- Radishes can be grown in pots, raised beds, backyards, indoors etc. with proper conditions. They can also be regenerated from roots and can be grown from scraps.
- Usually Radishes can be well grown in fertile, moist, sandy soils with more organic matter along with Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium content (N:P:K). They require minimum 1 inch of water based on soil conditions. Do not allow the soil to get completely dried up.
- It takes 4-5 weeks to get the first harvest. Radish grows well at cooler climates along but needs sunlight.
- If Radishes are left in soil for long time, you may get splits on them which reduce the price for its yield.
- Ideal Conditions for Better growth of Radish:Sandy loam soils with high organic matter content are highly suited for radish cultivation. The highest yield can be obtained at a soil pH of 5.5 to 6.8. Roots of best size, flavor and texture are developed at about 15°C.
- Apply FYM at 25 t/ha and 25 kg N, 100 kg P and 50 kg K/ha as basal dressing and 25 kg N/ha after 30 days.
- Pestsare controlled by spraying Malathion 50 EC 1 ml/lit twice or thrice at 10 days intervals.
Water supply and irrigation procedure in radish farming
- Radish requires a steady and continuous supply of moisture in soil which yields better results
- This helps in growth of tender root growth.
- Seeds should be sown at sufficient moisture.
- So irrigation is a very important step, especially in dry weather.
- Water deficiency makes the roots taste bitter which decreases market value.
- In winter season, the irrigation is given in once in 10 days.
- Radish farming requires plenty of water.
- It germinates better and yields more if the soil is moist and fertile.
- So, irrigate properly with sufficient water.
Note:If irrigation is restricted, roots will be tougherand pungent, making it unfit for marketing.
Storage/harvesting techniques in radish farming
- Radishes will be ready to harvest in25-55 days after planting based on the variety you have chosen.
- If the harvesting is delayed the taste of Radish will be bitter and pithy.
- Harvesting has to be done manually.
- Slight irrigation has to be done before harvesting, for smooth pull out of roots.
- After harvesting the roots are washed and made into bundles and marketed along with few leaves.
- Radish roots can be stored for 2-3 days under room temperature without quality impairing.
The yield of Radish
European variety yields up to 90-120 quintals per hectare in 30-35 days, whereas the Asiatic Varieties produce 200-300 quintals per hectare in 45-55 days.
You may also like the Polyhouse Green Chilli Farming.
|Particulars||Cost (In Indian Rupees)|
|Seeds cost||4,000/10 kg|
|FYM (Faramyard manure)||12,500|
|Pesticides and Insecticides|
|Fixed cost-Land revenue, Rental value, Management cost, Interest on capital||3,500|
|Total Cost of cultivation||39,661|
Average yield of Radish is :1750 quintals/hectare
Sale price: Rs. 10/Kg
Total Income = Rs. 1,75,000/hectare
Profit = Total Income- Total Cost of cultivation = Rs. 1, 75,000 – Rs. 39,661 = Rs. 1,35,339.
This has given more than 3 times returns (profit). Hence Radish is a profitable crop until and unless it is grown under proper conditions and harvested at correct time.
Marketing the produce :It can be done by using transport such as trucks, as radish is a local vegetable it can be sold in local markets. Radish is really a profitable crop which yields more with low investments.
That’s all folks about Radish cultivation income and cost. Keep growing root and tuber veggies!.
You may be interested in Growing Beans Hydroponically.